Converting Sendero from 300 RSAUM to WSM

ATH

My research has indicated that the Sendero SF 26" was never factory chambered in 300 WSM. So not I'm thinking of getting one in 300 RSAUM, shooting that until I fry the barrel, then "upgrading" the gun to WSM. My concern is that the 300 WSM is not a true "short-action" cartridge. Does anyone know if the Sendero action used on the 300 RSAUM is long enough to shoot the 300 WSM loaded with 200 grainers?

I'm no gunsmith but I would speculate that if your trying to mag feed them it would not.
For a single shot maybe. You would probably have to tilt the loaded round to fit through the action opening.

I was afraid of that. I assume there are no issues when going the other way (ie rebarreling a 300 WinMan to WSM)?

I have built a few WSM rifles on Rem 700 SA. The cartridge will feed and eject fine. The SAAMI chamber for the 300 WSM has very little freebore, making it very difficult to seat light bullets out to the lands.

What is the length of you magazine? Maximum OAL cartridge length could be 3.0 to 3.1 depending on bullet seclectoin, seating depth and your throat. If your magazine is much less than this than your reloaded performance may not exceed what you already have. Otherwise, its should work fine. Go for it!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.