Converting RH to LH stock

Str8aim

I wanted to see if any of you have converted a right handed synthetic stock over to a left handed stock for a Rem bolt action. Since it is so hard to find LH bolt action synthetic stocks I though I might see about converting a RH stock. Can it be done well? Is it worth trying or should I just wait the months it will take to get one made? If you have pictures of your work I would love to see what can be done. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
You might find a 'hobbiest' who will take on something like that, or someone who doesn't know any better. I bought a left handed wood stock off of GunBroker and modified it to use as a pattern for the duplicator. Wasn't hard to find, was bit beat-up, but I didn't need a 'good' one, anyway. If converting from RH to LH,,,, what about the cheek piece? If we're talkin' synthetic you'd want one without a cheek piece and unfinished. Seems it'd be cheaper in the long run to get a LH model to begin with. Sure, anything can be done,,, but at what cost? Makin' "something" out of "nothing" isn't 'gunsmithing',,, it's just jackin' around. www.redhawkriflescom usually has LH H-S Precision stocks if synthetic is what you want. Alot of stock duplicators have LH patterns for the 700 if wood is your choice. I spotted several very nice factory (too good for pattern) LH stocks on GB, while I was looking for a 'beater' to make a pattern out of.

On fiberglass as long as the stock is ambidextrous other than the bolt handle and loading/ejection port window it is a pretty easy change over. Just cut the left side to match the right side using the action as a guide and then use body filler to build up the right hand side. About 3 hours a fiddling and it should be ready for paint. If you can get near a Bridgeport mill it would go really easy. Then prime and sand it out and you are ready for paint or coating. McMillan does this all the time. (Switches sides on painted stocks)

If you want it gel coated then get your order into McMillan tomorrow and wait 5-6 months and you will be all done professionally. It's not really that long.

I may have to respectfully disagree Shortgrass. Making something from nothing may not be the exact definition of gunsmithing but it certainly isn't "jacking around" unless you consider that duplicator carving out a gunstock from a solid hunk of walnut Jacking around. More to the subject I've done quite a few RH to LH conversions on synthetic stocks or in cases where a guy wants the cheek piece on the RH side of the stock but with a RH action Learn to get real creative with fiberglass cloth and resin or short strand bondo and you can do anything This is my latest build I did for my elk hunt this fall I figured I built everything else why not the stock? made from insulation foam and fiberglass cloth pillar bedded and acraglassed holding 1/4 moa not bad for just jacking around
boom stick 2.jpgACR6.jpg

Got my little conversions project done before Christmas, I like how it turned out!! Thanks Dakotafire for the advise...
Fun project, with the results I wanted. Looking forward to my next project as well as putting a few rounds down range with my new toy.
gun)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 176
Other side where I filled in the right handed action to match the accent pieces that I added on the front, Palm and butt...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 162
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.