Converting a Tikka to internal box magazine

KTP

I hope this is the correct thread for this question. Is there a way to convert a Tikka bolt action to an internal box magazine rifle? Tikka makes a fine rifle in terms of weight and accuracy but packing a detach mag rifle on a backpack can create issues with accidental lost mags etc. Please, I don't want to hear about taping the magazine, switching to a different gun brand, or keeping the magazine handy in a pocket. I'd like to know if anyone has really done this conversion with success on a Tikka.
Thanks all

I think the key would be figuring out how to load from the action port. It's not that big, and the tikka is designed to run from the center feed single stack, so you can't really snap them in the way a staggered feed internal box would. I'm sure it's doable.

You would need to have a BDL style bottom metal with a modified center feed box, so you could drop the door to load and unload the mag box.
Typically the factory latch I find to be almost fool proof but I have seen some that would pop the mag for almost anything and they just needed the spring squared up and a little more spring put into it.

Don't tape it use a piece of Velcro done that on my cooper after loosing my clip in New Mexico luckily I found it. David

Put a small piece on each side of stock then just run a longer piece from one side to the other need clip out just pull one side loose let it hang pull clip then when done pull back around and reattach works for me don't want to lose my expensive clip. David

Alaskan I think your right about the action port. And a BDL system would be nice. I really like the Tikka rifle line and in most situations a magazine is fine, but I'm preparing for the day (I hope) to pack into the Alaskan mountains and I don't want to mess or worry about a magazine

I think trying to find a BDL trigger guard with the correct screw spacing would be a start, then a mag box that would work or modified to work, might have to have some inletting done on stock to fit the metal.
I would start by trying to find the metal and then try wyatts for a box.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts