Converting a 700 LA into a LA mag

JimmyO

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a Remington 700 LA in 30-06 that I am ready to tear down and build into another custom. My dilemma is that I have my heart set on a 338 Lapua. What all does it take to convert the standard long action into a magnum long action. I am already planning on replacing the Remington bolt with a Stiller bolt and swapping out the bottom metal. I assume the bottom of the receiver will need opened up at the, and I will have that done when I have the action blueprinted.

What else will need done?

Thanks JimmyO

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a Remington 700 LA in 30-06 that I am ready to tear down and build into another custom. My dilemma is that I have my heart set on a 338 Lapua. What all does it take to convert the standard long action into a magnum long action. I am already planning on replacing the Remington bolt with a Stiller bolt and swapping out the bottom metal. I assume the bottom of the receiver will need opened up at the, and I will have that done when I have the action blueprinted.

What else will need done?

Thanks JimmyO
All 700 long actions are the same length, 3.700" long from bolt stop to loading port feed ramp.
Myself, I wouldn't build a 338 Lapua on a 700 action, there's not enough meat in the bolt face for my liking.
I have built a few 338 Edges on 700's, it equals the Lapua, and my own, with a 30" barrel is faster than most Lapua factory rifles.

Cheers.
gun)

All 700 long actions are the same length, 3.700" long from bolt stop to loading port feed ramp.
Myself, I wouldn't build a 338 Lapua on a 700 action, there's not enough meat in the bolt face for my liking.
I have built a few 338 Edges on 700's, it equals the Lapua, and my own, with a 30" barrel is faster than most Lapua factory rifles.

Cheers.
gun)

Yep. I agree 100%.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts