converting a 223 over to 22-250????

Elkwonder

I have a new FN chambered in 223 and am really wanting a 22-250 for predators
Is the conversion as simple as just a new barrel and new bolt face or is it a dumb idea? Im trying to decide whether to go this route or just sell the FN 223 and get a 22-250. Thanks

Barrel, bolt face, feed rails, extractor, and ejector. These would all need to have work done to get it to run well. I would sell and buy a new rifle.

Check with a good gunsmith but I think you can simply rechamber your existing barrel and perhaps open the bolt face or change out the bolt body.

I had a .225 winchester that was rechambered for .220 swift that I really liked till I flat shot it out.

In all honesty though the .223 is one of the most popular varmint hunting calibers in the US so why not just stick with it?

You could also have the chamber cut for .223AI. gets you 100-140fps more velocity and then you don't have to change anything else. Brass stays cheap and plentiful and once fire formed the cases barely stretch so trimming is cut to near zero. And you can still fire .223 in it just fine and fire form while you hunt or shoot varmints. That's what I do with mine.

I had a 22-250 and I sold it after I built the .223AI. Its just as fun and less expensive to shoot. Almost gets you into 22-250 speed territory without the extra powder and barrel burning. I have never had a predator get away from the .223 that a 22-250 would have stopped.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.