Converting 25-06 to 6.5-06?

hawlejr

Wondering if a 25-06 barrel can be rebored to accommodate .264 bullets. I've heard conflicting reports as to whether there is enough steel in the bore to support re-rifling after the barrel is reamed for the 6.5. I think ( although I may be wrong), that rifling is typically .0035 deep. If the 25-06 barrel was right to spec, this would mean that you could ream out the .257 rifling with an exact .257 reamer, and cut grooves 0.035 deep on the inside of the bore leaving a new groove diameter of .257 + 2* 0.035 or .257+0.07=.264. Very tight, but in theory, correct? Even if it's true in theory, it may not be practicable. Looking for knowledgeable barrel folks on this one.

Thanks,

You're better off just buying a good match grade barrel and having a good smith install it for you.
Agreed ,but I would think about running a ,ai reamer in it , especially with all the new 25 cal bullets available now . Hammer has a lot of good 25 cal bullet offerings as well as others . If the riflings are gone then another story. The 25 cal with the right bullet is hard too beat, saying that I am a 6.5 cal fan.

he 25 cal with the right bullet is hard too beat, saying that I am a 6.5 cal fan.
The Berger LRHT is what we've been waiting for. Problem is needs an 8 twist. Same old story as the 300 WM for most of the 25-06s out there - nothing wrong with it at all, but if it has a 10 twist you can't run the heavies. If you're doing a new barrel, the Bob and -06 have competition now.

Wondering if a 25-06 barrel can be rebored to accommodate .264 bullets.

The correct short answer is NO.

Reboring an existing .25 caliber barrel requires 0.015" AT A MINIMUM for the reamer to cut into good steel. Your dimension is simply not enough material for a clean cut.

Along with everyone else, start with a top quality, name brand new barrel.

Enjoy!

:)

Most re-borers require basically 2 calibers difference to be re-bored. So your .257 barrel would need to be .277 or larger. Unless you have a high end octagon barrel or one with express sights, usually more economical to buy a new one. Re-boring isn't as common as it use to be.

Re-boring isn't as common as it use to be.

The the three companies I know that re-bore have waiting lists into a year Maybe that's not common or there just aren't enough folks that practice re-boring.

If you are considering re-boring, take the time to call and discuss the project with the company you choose or call all of them. There are lots of things to consider so get the right information from the folks that actually perform the work.

Enjoy!

Certainly could not see a reamer making a clean cut with only the lands being removed. It's an interrupted cut all the way through and the chatter of the cutter would leave some nasty marks in what is now the bore.
Rebarrel vote here.

The the three companies I know that re-bore have waiting lists into a year Maybe that's not common or there just aren't enough folks that practice re-boring.

If you are considering re-boring, take the time to call and discuss the project with the company you choose or call all of them. There are lots of things to consider so get the right information from the folks that actually perform the work.

Enjoy!

Didn't say there wasn't a demand just depends on what you have. A standard sporter barrel is going to basically be a wash not including any chambering. If you have a safari rifle that you spent $1500 having the barrel and metal work done on. Then absolutely a deal. 50-60 years ago, reboring was a cheap way to get basically a new barrel, not the same today.