Convert new 6.5cm to 6.5 prc?

Muddyboots

Recently won a CM at a WTU banquet and just was thinking why not ream it out to PRC? Any reason why I shouldn't do this to this Savage Axis? Other than of course blasphemy for thinking of doing that to a CM.

Recently won a CM at a WTU banquet and just was thinking why not ream it out to PRC? Any reason why I shouldn't do this to this Savage Axis? Other than of course blasphemy for thinking of doing that to a CM.
That would be a boost in performance but if you were going to do that, why not do an SS or SST and gain even more in a shorter package.

With it being a Savage you could just sell the barrel that's on there, order a new pre-fit and bolt head and head to the races. If you're wanting to check out the PRC, then go for it. You're not destroying sentimental value of an older gun, or anything. Variety is the spice of life.

No offense to those above, but I wouldn't go through the added cost of going with an SST cartridge (more expensive dies, pre-fit/reamer rental, brass, etc) for a Savage axis range toy/something you're just doing for fun. If you're looking to do it on the cheap then a pre-fit, barrel gauges, bolt head should start around $500/$550 depending on what you want. Only consideration for me would be what could I sell the axis for, plus what I would've put into it probably puts me into the $800's, might just be able to get an off the shelf gun for that. But sometimes a project is more fun.

Also, the PRC is the same diameter as an SAUM, so it needs to have the feed rails opened by a gunsmith, and magazine box replaced with a SAUM/WSM mag box and follower. It's not a simple drop-in like yall are thinking. He will also need a new bolt head, and barrel.

i talked with jim northlund, savage shooters guy i think about prethreaded barrels for savage axis, ruger american, rem 783, he said they 1in diameter threads, he wouldnt make barrels, for that diameter of case unless 1 1/16 in diameter threads, or something like that, i have a few ruger and remingtons i got cheap was gonna order barrels and convert them, magazines and magnum bolt heads are they easy part

There are others that will do small shank prefits in saum, wsm and ultramags. It would be a lot easier if you would start out with savage in a wsm chambering. Maybe you could trade it for model 11 for a little cash and not have to worry about bolt head and mag box.

Thanks guys for all the really good thoughts and suggestions. I actually have an older .300WSM that I may now will consider going that route with. The 6.5CM will still be put into use with granddaughters in the not too far future. Or my .243 which may be also drafted out of the safe by them! I just may put two tags in a hat and say pick!

This is one of the reasons why I like this site. You can get really thoughtful suggestions without a lot of WTH BS. I still like the 6.5PRC so I will look into a new project with the older WSM.
Thanks,
Muddy

I'm going to attend an NRA banquet in a few weeks and there are 6.5 CM all over the place. I don't know what I would do if I won one. However, I don't really like the idea of building off an economy action. Sure it can be done and you could sell the barrel to help the cost. If its a toy, have fun. If you want a better platform to make switch barrel rigs, sell the Axis and get something better.

Want prc performance way easier and less "follow the crowd"?

6.5x284.

In the Axis you can change to long action super easy, they are all long action with a spacer for the short action. Take the factory tupperware stock off and replace it with a long action stock from boyds, and get a long action mag. Or if you want the tupperware stock or can't afford to buy a new boyds, buy the long action trigger block from numerich for the factory stock, and buy a long action magazine. Same bolt face. Get a savage prefit from northland shooters supply or Mcgowen for cheap and your gtg.

Or build your prc on your wsm action if you really want the prc. But the axis is an easy gun to build on, it's actually made very versatile and easy for the at home guy to build. I bought one in 6.5 cm for my niece that is showing interest and skill in lr hunting (at 12 years old she took her first pronghorn buck at 980 yards) because it's so versatile, if she wants to eventually switch to a larger or more powerful cartridge she certainly can, and for a relatively cheap price be into a semi-custom, but is still starting out with the mild 6.5 cm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.