Convert 7mm RUM to??

Hello, I am new to this. I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm RUM I took in on a trade. As I've seen the ammo is hard to come by, and barrel life is short. I want to convert it to something that's just all around more convenient. And in simple English as if you were explaining to someone who had no clue. I'm wondering what I would need to change, i.e. barrel, bolt, etc. as I've said I'm new to this and wanting to get into long range shooting. Just clueless here
.300 RUM ammo is expensive.

I'd sell the RUM. (I had a 300 RUM and 338 RUM with muzzle-brakes and they shot well, but after 10-rds. at the range I had a concussion.) :D
I like the regular .338 Winchester Magnum, and the 7mm Remington Magnum, 30-06, 308, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 CM. (No muzzle-brakes.)
I sold my 300 Winchester Magnum too.

I'd choose a 6.5 PRC, or a 7mm Remington Magnum.
7mm Remington Magnum ammo is easier to find + less expensive.
Prices are still ridiculous.

TIKKA, Mossberg -- I like their extractors over my 700s.

TIKKA bolt/extractor:

Attachments

• TIKKA T3X BOLT FACE.jpg
    TIKKA T3X BOLT FACE.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
.300 RUM ammo is expensive.

I'd sell the RUM. (I had a 300 RUM and 338 RUM with muzzle-brakes and they shot well, but after 10-rds. at the range I had a concussion.) :D
I like the regular .338 Winchester Magnum, and the 7mm Remington Magnum, 30-06, 308, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 CM. (No muzzle-brakes.)
I sold my 300 Winchester Magnum too.

I'd choose a 6.5 PRC, or a 7mm Remington Magnum.
7mm Remington Magnum ammo is easier to find + less expensive.
Prices are still ridiculous.

TIKKA, Mossberg -- I like their extractors over my 700s.

TIKKA bolt/extractor:

Have the 300 RUM & 338 RUM... been shooting and reloading for years. Never a problem with concussion 🤕with proper hearing protection. Wouldn't trade either... Both are Elk thumpers and anything else for that matter.

Hello, I am new to this. I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm RUM I took in on a trade. As I've seen the ammo is hard to come by, and barrel life is short. I want to convert it to something that's just all around more convenient. And in simple English as if you were explaining to someone who had no clue. I'm wondering what I would need to change, i.e. barrel, bolt, etc. as I've said I'm new to this and wanting to get into long range shooting. Just clueless here
You could convert your RUM to a 300 RUM, 338 RUM, 300 SAUM, 7mm SAUM, 300 WSM, 7mm WSM, 270 WSM, 6.5 PRC without doing any modifications to the bolt.

Are you going to just buy ammo? or do handloads?

Right now, 7mm Remington Magnum seems the better choice. - But again, I'd sell the RUM and buy a 7mm TIKKA T3X stainless steel rifle.
Then, I'd put it in a wood laminate BOYD's stock, with Pachmayr Decelerator pad option.

Last edited:
I would get a 7 wsm barrel for it from international barrels (ibi) and then you can get a 180 eldm going about 3000. For this you would only need to swap the barrel. Just my 2 cents

7mm Remington Magnum :D

300 Winchester Magnum
VS
6.5 PRC

My 6.5 PRC. - Barrel is Free-Floated.
Mossberg Patriot Predator (Strata - Cerakote finish)
Boyds Premium Laminate wook stock: Forest Camo + Decelerator pad, and for Lefty.
Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42mm Side-Focus, MK1-MOA reticle.
Total cost: around $1000
Then the ammo, dies, bullets, primers and powder.
Obtained BEFORE Biden Joe Folly's 'ELECTSHUN' and the 'PLANDEMIC.' :D

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20201109_131428.jpg
    20201109_131428.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201109_131348.jpg
    20201109_131348.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 53
  • spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20201109_131235.jpg
    20201109_131235.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Elk Hunter 338, you got my interest. Pm me when you have time on the cost to do this. I have a Remington sendero in 7 Rum.
Oh yeah. A 7 RUM IMO would be the ultimate long rang Elk/Moose/Bear rifle. 195 grain Berger's in that thang are a beast!!! I would not choose the 7 RUM for a bench gun because you would go through barrels very quickly. That being said for a hunting rifle, well now, I'm all in!!!!

OPTION: BUY THE AMMO, RELOAD, USE AND SHOOT UNTIL BARREL IS SHOT OUT, THEN REBARREL. :D

Last edited:
Oh yeah. A 7 RUM IMO would be the ultimate long rang Elk/Moose/Bear rifle. 195 grain Berger's in that thang are a beast!!! I would not choose the 7 RUM for a bench gun because you would go through barrels very quickly. That being said for a hunting rifle, well now, I'm all in!!!!
I Have several 7RUM's shooting the 195 in 9 twist and they are sweeeeeet!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.