Controlled feed rifle question

Travis1971

Hello, I'm looking for a new rifle with a controlled feed action, not really looking to debate control vs push. But I was looking for peoples options on current production control feed rifles Winchester, Ruger, CZ, Kimber, ect any truly better than others, some say the new production don't function like a true control feed? Any opinions on this. Any finally I was also considering re-barreling an old mauser action, does any have any experiences with this in larger calibers 338 win mag and above? Can these old actions fit and handle the larger calibers? Thanks

I am q big fan of the controled feed. There are a lot of great actions if you look with the big/dangerous game crowd. The old winchester actions are great, new not so much without a lot of work. The commercial Mausers are top notch. Also look at Granit Mountain Arms, spendy but first class.

There's nothing wrong with CRF, if that's what you want, get one you won't be disappointed. My go-to gunsmith actually prefers the mod 70's so there must be something to it :rolleyes:

Another option is Montana Rifle Company, they make a fine action. With that being said, I don't know much about them or their customer service, due dilligence would be prudent.

Montana Rifle Company

t

Savage WSM actions provide excellent CRPF, as well as a bonus in standing blade ejection, and they take a larger tenon to provide for more barrel steel around the chamber.

Savage WSM actions provide excellent CRPF, as well as a bonus in standing blade ejection, and they take a larger tenon to provide for more barrel steel around the chamber.

Good thought on the Savage, somewhat of a hybrid but great action at approx 20% of a granite mountain or Mauser. If you can just get over the looks, lol.

I used a Montana 1999 to build my guide gun in .416 RUM. It is a nice action and have no complaints. Seems to have the best of Win70 and Mauser features. Win trigger and bolt with a Mauser style inner collar ring for more strength.

Reuben

I personally think the easiest and best route is to start with a late model Winchester M70. While they're not as easy to work on as a Remington M700, there are still plenty of gunsmiths that know how to make them shoot, you just have to look around a bit more to find them. They're easy to find in stainless also, which is a requirement for me. If I were going to build off a mauser it'd be a newer commercial mauser. They're hard to find in stainless with only the Zastava that I know of.

Here's my M70 stainless 7mm rem mag. Bartlein #2B barrel, McMillan edge stock.

New MFG Mod 70 actions are pretty sweet out of the box these days with a lot of good changes. FNH is doing a fine job in my experience.

This is from chuck Hawks...

"Controlled feeding" means the cartridge is captured by the extractor as it is stripped from the magazine and held against the bolt face all the way into the chamber as the bolt runs forward. During the feeding cycle, the cartridge is always held by (first) the magazine lips and then by the extractor; it is never loose. That is the "controlled" in controlled feed. Examples of classic controlled feed actions include pre-1964 Winchester Model 70's, Husqvarna HVA, Mauser's Model 98 (and its clones) and the Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Examples of contemporary controlled feed actions include the CZ 550, Kimber Models 84/8400, Ruger Model 77 Hawkeye and all current Winchester Model 70's."

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.