contour and length

Gator26

Ok i have been siting here really thinking alot about the barrel for my rifle and i was wondering can the contour be to big or a barrel be so long so that it will make it less accurate or can it be just over kill to the point that makeing it larger and thicker that it wont increase the accuracy any more that maybe one smaller and shorter? thanks alot im not asking about just my rifle i meen any rifle.

Last edited:
Ok i have been siting here really thinking alot about the barrel for my rifle and i was wondering can the contour be to big or a barrel be so long so that it will make it less accurate or can it be just over kill to the point that makeing it larger and thicker that it wont increase the accuracy any more that maybe one smaller and shorter? thanks alot im not asking about just my rifle i meen any rifle.

Usually the stiffer the barrel the less the barrel is affected by harmonic vibrations. Meaning it is easier to find the best load. Don't heat up as fast as a sporter barrel. Let's you get more shots down range before the barrel heats up.

The downside is is portability. Big heavy barrels are tough to carry around.

It all boils down to what you need your rifle to do. If you need a walking/hiking pack gun, you'd probably go lighter. If you ambush hunt, or mostly target shoot you'd get by with the heavier. Or, somewhere in between.

I understand all that i guess what i meen is can you get to the point wehre you have such a heavy/long barrel that it doesnt help or it actually hurts accuracy?

I understand all that i guess what i meen is can you get to the point wehre you have such a heavy/long barrel that it doesnt help or it actually hurts accuracy?

No, it never gets to the point that it hurts accuracy. It will get to the point of diminishing returns. At least with reasonable contours and lengths.

Going from an 18" barrel to a 28" will get you more benefit than going from 28" to 38".

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.