Continued loading of brass with loose Primer pockets

Iron Worker

In my 6x284 and 270WSM I load hot loads,and they expand the primer pockets. No blown primers,no black rings around primers. But they ( Primers) seat very easily . So is this dangerous ? What is the rule of thumb about expanded primer pockets ?

Chunk em. Consistency from shot to shot will be poor and its dangerous. A quote I read not to long ago states: "Speed is fine but accuracy is final"

Are you using Lapua brass for your 6-284???

I ask because if you are getting loose pockets with Lapua brass you're probably way past just a hot load.

For those reloading cases such that their primer pockets get too loose after 3 or 4 firings per case, do you know how much increase over normal maximum peak pressure specs for that cartridge such loads produce? Or are you only guessing?

For those reloading cases such that their primer pockets get too loose after 3 or 4 firings per case, do you know how much increase over normal maximum peak pressure specs for that cartridge such loads produce? Or are you only guessing?

I'm really glad I started this thread. Seems like I've taken too much for granted. I haven't even bothered to guess. My bad . My swelled primer pockets are the pressure sign that mustn't be ignored !!!!!!!!

On a couple of my rifles I normally only get one firing before my primer pockets will no longer hold a primer. :D

Sometimes upon extraction, the primer will fall down into the action and I will have to shake the rifle around to get it out before I can shoot again. Knowing that I try to mike a good first round hit being as my cyclic rate of fire is real low.

That will slow down your rate of fire alright.

Bob, Do hot hit the primer pocket swager hard........gotta hit it softly. Use one of those plastic kinetic bullet pullers to whack it with.....and not too hard with that, just a sharp whack. Try hitting it soft first...I think some people ruin their swagers beating on them.

Super glue on the primer works great.:D:rolleyes:

I am kidding. I have done this, and it seemed to work fine, but I don't make it a common practice.

Steve

On a couple of my rifles I normally only get one firing before my primer pockets will no longer hold a primer. Sometimes upon extraction, the primer will fall down into the action and I will have to shake the rifle around to get it out before I can shoot again.
When I was talking with Lake City Arsenal about some match ammo issues some years ago, the engineer said their proof loads typically loosen primer pockets a bit, but never had any primers fall out after firing them in pressure test barrels. New primers seated in fired proof load cases went in somewhat easier.

I've shot those same proof loads Lake City Arsenal uses in M1 Garands, then reloaded the same case with proof load components 2 or 3 times before the primer pocket was too loose.

Arsenal 7.62 NATO proof loads have 65,000 CUP or 80,000 PSI. Service loads have 50,000 CUP or 58,000 PSI. Which more or less tells me that folks loading ammo such that primers fall out of new cases are... ....well, readers can plug in their own descriptive term. We each decide what our margin of safety is.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.