Contender in 223

Shoot1000

I acquired a Contender recently in 223 with a 10 inch barrel. Anybody else shooting this caliber? Was wondering what bullet you are using? Thanks.

Tim

The 223 barrel was my first one back in 81.. 10" bull. I shoot 55 gr bulk remingtons and 55gr cast.

I've been shooting the 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I load Win cases, BR4 primers, and 22.5 grs of IM4-4198, with COL 2.260". This load is a tad over the listed MAX and is fine in my pistol, but you should work up to it from 19 or so. I haven't chronographed the load, but it should be around 2950 FPS.

I read an article a long time ago that indicated only fast burning powders and light bullets shot well in the 10" barrel. If I do my part with the above load, I get sub 1" groups at 100 yards.

do you know your barrel twist. 1 in 9 = 55 to 60 grain, 1 in 8= 70 to 80 grain. faster twist fatter boolites. ps. i have 6 encores- 3 pistols, 2 rifles, 1 M.L. welcome to the dark side!!!!

Thanks for the input everyone. I reload for a variety of firearms. Since I haven't seen much info on the contender I figured I'd ask what other people are using. Gives me an idea of where I might want to start.

I have a 10" 223 Contender that I bought NIB back in the early 90's and the guy I bought it from told me it was from the late 70's? No idea when it was actually made. It really likes Sierra 55 Gamekings and Varget, never bothered to chrnonograph it though. I haven't shot it much past about 275 yards but it shoots a lot better than I ever thought it would.

A 10" barrel is not a lot of time to burn much powder.
These posts imply 2950 FPS and ranges out to 275 yds with this equipment.
I don't own a 10" Bbl in 223 Rem but I use a 21" in 222 Rem Mag Imp and I would be humbled to shoot with these guys.
I do agree with the recommended load as applicable.
222 RMI.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I have no idea what velocity mine makes, I was just stating that it shoots really well. With a good scope, a good rest and a box or two of ammo it doesn't take long on a prairie dog town to figure out the hold well beyond 200 yards and more hits than misses for me but then again we do the same thing with 22LR when the wind is light so maybe it isn't all that special?

Mr. Smith,
I was not disparaging your claims of pistol performance. I admire your chutspah and strive for the opportunities to 'push the envelope' as it were and model my shooting after those such as Don Bower and the likes. Shooting is a joy for me as I'm sure it is for you. Keep up the good work.
Thanks,
Jimmy

I realize this is a old thread.
I have used a 7" 223 Remington AR pistol (No Arm Brace) and have killed dogs past 250 yards easily. 50 grain NBT's
The scope was the limiting factor, and I only used it one time for pd's

Even with a 10" center-grip XP in 221 Fireball (2-6 Redfield pistol scope), I killed dogs out just beyond a 1/4 mile. 40 grain NBT's

Quality of the barrel/pistol, optic, the loads used, and the nut behind the gun is what is going to determine capability. Of course conditions is huge!

I realize this is a old thread.
I have used a 7" 223 Remington AR pistol (No Arm Brace) and have killed dogs past 250 yards easily. 50 grain NBT's
The scope was the limiting factor, and I only used it one time for pd's
Very timely response for me. Plus reviewing your post never get old.

I'm headed sage rat shooting in April, and would like one more .223 rifle to take. Zero luck finding a rifle I like locally or online.

My son in law has a Contender in the safe, and I'm considering a .223 barrel for it. It will need a scope update as well.

For squirrels to 250ish yards which barrel length would you choose, and a suitable mid range priced optic.

Thank You!
Carl