Contender chambering.

Which one would be a bit easier forming brass ? Also less muzzle blast. I understand the 204 ruger has quit a bit. If I go pistol length I'd like to use a rifle scope. My 7-30 is carbine so I got rifle covered. 2 encores in pistol 243 and 6mm rem. I really enjoy shooting pistol forum.also needs to be used on an original contender frame.

Which one would be a bit easier forming brass ? Also less muzzle blast. I understand the 204 ruger has quit a bit. If I go pistol length I'd like to use a rifle scope. My 7-30 is carbine so I got rifle covered. 2 encores in pistol 243 and 6mm rem. I really enjoy shooting pistol forum.also needs to be used on an original contender frame.
As Doug said above, the 20 TAC (223 Rem case) or the 20 Vartarg (221 Fireball case), if you want a 20 caliber.
I have a custom 204 Ruger barrel for my G-2 pistol. No brake using a rifle scope. It doesn't get used enough.
I have center-grip XP's in: 20 BR (15" 1-8T) and a 20 Vartarg.
The 20 BR has a brake, while the Vartarg does not, both have rifle scopes.
You can easily use rifle scopes on the Vartarg, TAC, or 204 with or without a brake

20 Vartarg
0DC8D2C0-C508-48BC-B6AC-D71289EAAAFE.jpeg

The 20 Vartarg above now has a laminated ambidexterous grip stock on it.
1B3FF47D-B6F1-42AB-962A-1AC57EC57FC4.jpeg

204 Ruger-Yes it has a pistol scope on it in this picture (Now has a rifle scope on it)
TaNcKopl.jpg

20 BR XP: I even shot a PRS match with it several years ago.
DseQOVRl.jpg

221 Fireball is a nice choice too.
OUrGyJEl.jpg

I shoot the 20 VT in a 16 inch barrel and the 20 TAC in a 22 inch barrel. Both set up as pistols. Both have Leupold 8.5-25x50mm Fine duplex reticle rifle scopes. These old eye need all the help they can get. Both are very easy to form brass. One pass through the FL size die has always worked for me. I have enough 20 TAC Dakota brass that I don't have to form, but I have made from 223 with no issues. Both my barrels are OTT and have fairly tight chambers. With MOST brands of brass neck turning is not necessary. However with Lapua BOTH of Mine have to be neck turned. As far as muzzle blast the 20VT has a lot less but it is also500-800 FPS slower depending on barrel length. I believe the 221 Fireball was originally developed for the XP-100 so it was designed for the pistol length barrel and is much more efficient in them. That being said the 20 TAC in long enough barrels to use the extra powder is a 400 yard Death Ray. You won't be disappointed with Either
Hope this helps
Safe shooting
Doug

Powder wise, what's the best to use,I have most of a jug of tcci 8208 I need to use up.burn rate like lt-32 ,h322
Contender build,Bullberry or Mgm ?

Powder wise, what's the best to use,I have most of a jug of tcci 8208 I need to use up.burn rate like lt-32 ,h322
Contender build,Bullberry or Mgm ?
I also have a bottle of 8208 (as well as others) I intend to try LOL. The truth is I first loaded H4198 and it was soooo good I never got around to any of them. I say every time I load today is the day, then I grin and grab the H4198 and get to loading. Around 18 +/- grains, your barrel will tell you exactly, how much you love the 20 VT. It just keeps stacking Hornady & Sierra 32 grain bullets in one ragged hole. Makes us old guys look like young eyed shooters.

I agree with BullBerry also given those two choices.

Safe shooting
Doug

Last edited:
Bullberry it is. I think I'm leaning to 6.5 bullberry. I'll give a few days and ponder. Unless you guys really want to beat my brains on a vartag. WAY TO MANY CHOICES. 🤓

If I ever get a 6.5 barrel for my G-2, I figured it would be the Grendel.
I imagine the 6.5 Bullberry would be close to that too.

You will love the Vartarg-So much fun!

Recent Posts