Contender Cartridge

7ultra

Well, after some thought, I think I'm going to make my first handgun a Contender, as opposed to the Ruger SRH that I was eyeing up. The Contender just seems like a better fit for me, a little more my style. Question is, what barrel to go with. I'm considering just picking up a G2 frame, sending it to SSK and have them glitz it up (barrel, grips, triger, and TSOB). Now, for a cartridge, I'm really looking at the JDJ's. I'm partial to the 6.5, but the thought of bigger and better things is catching my eye( 9.3 JDJ or the 375 JDJ). Out of the big guns, the 9.3 is probably what I would go with. So, my question for the Handgunners is, any experiences or thoughts? Should I go with the Contender or should I look more at the Encore*(caveat being that I am buying this for use as a handgun, I already have plenty of long guns)? Also, for cartridges, I want horsepower( I know I know, these are guns not cars), would I be disappointed in the 6.5 JDJ?

Why send it to SSK?. 375 JDJ is now stock caliber for T/C.

TC barrel will cost $200-225, SSK barrel $350-400 and both shoot under 1". What are you getting for the extra $150-200?

Just order factory barrel or TC custom shop barrel from Fox Ridge.

For deer size game and smaller caliber, I have killed many deer with the TC in 7-30 waters out to 250 yards. what more can you ask for in a pistol?

BH

Well, thats just the thing. I'm undecided on the 375 JDJ(and yes I saw that TC is now offering this-cool), and if I wanted something, like say the 6.5, I would have to send out for an SSK barrel. Unless anyone else chambers the JDJs? Also, while there I would have had some extra's added, like a trigger job, mounts etc. Does anyone else know of someone who can reliably tune a Contender?

you must like pain, those big ones can cause perminate damageif you shoot a lot to your wrist and elbows. I have a 357 Herret that is verry stout but not much fun to shoot. I would go for ine of the 6.5's flat shooter better B C's My favorite is a varmit one A 6mm TCU,great dog gun from the truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

if your concidering the contender there is three choices of frames. the pre g2 contenders have a trigger setup anyone can tune at home to a pound or so just by trimming the little spring under the trigger. the g2's and encores have the same basic trigger and should be sent to someone to tune mike bellm is good. the pre g2 frames run you around 200.00 shipped, g2 can be had for 250.00 and the same for the encore 250.00. so if you don't already have a barrel the encore frame makes more sense as there are endless possibilies for chamberings. a 15 inch 30-06 encore barrel would be hot. also some folks i have talked to have 458 winchester and 470 nitro express encore pistols with brakes. thats true arm braking horsepower. be very careful you do not become addicting to shooting t/c pistols as it will leave you broke and grinning

also couple guys doing conversions on standard TC barrels to their proprietary caliblers.

I think Bellm, I know Bullberry and there is a guy in Nevada or Utah that has one that he shoots MOA or smaller at 500 yards with and I cannot remember his name.

BH

I have a encore, 308, 15 inch. barrel. With a full load it will kill deer to 300 yrds. Not to much fun to shot, but will get the job done. Most of the time I load down for it. Just got me a 3006 barrel for it. 24 inch will shoot for a while then put A behind 3006.

I had a contender that SSK built into a custom 444. It beat bthe crap out of me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif It was very accurate and deadly out past 100yds, which is farther than I intended to use it.

I sold it to a buddy who shoots it occasionaly and bought a SRH 454 for myself. Yeah, that beats the crap out of me too but I like it a lot better. I use iron sights and can make reasonable hits at 100yds. Rides nice in a holster which is one reason that I got away from the contender. A Contender without a scope seems to be a bit senseless to me.

If I bought another single shot it would be an Encore in 260Rem or 7mm-08, max. Nikon 2x would probably be sittin' on top of her too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's my SRH doing the job on a 325lb Russian boar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
062248.jpg

Boar ran about 45yds with blood gushing out both sides. That tough grizzle plate was no match for the 300gr Swift A-Frame bullet.

7Ultra,

My first question would be what caliber do you like the most? Some of my sugestions would be to take a look at some of the Bower cartridges that are set up for the contender and encore. You can get them in 22, 243, 6.5, 7, 30 and 358. All of them bases off of the improved 307 case with a 40* shoulder.. Then if you are looking for more vel. you could go to the ones based off of the 444 marlin case which are chambered in the encore. Like the other guys said there are a few other options out there also.

Just food for thought.

Marc Sheehan.

I used to the TC in 7mm-223 easy to fire form and it was good varmint gun shooting 130's 14 inch and it didn't require a brake.

7ultra,
one of my friends has a 6.5JDJ that I have shot quite a bit over the years ,it is very accurate and pleasant to shoot. one day a few years ago he invited one of his friends that I had never met before to go shoot with us, he had a 375JDJ and offered to let me shoot it what a MONSTER. you can use a two handed Vulcan death grip and it still tries to plant the hammer in your forehead. if you really think you want one shoot one first. One other thing to consider is that SSK,Bullberry and a few other places that make contender and Encore barrel's use tighter reamers than Thompson,over the years I have had 6 Thompson barrels that shoot fairly good but the chambers were all grossly oversize.
B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.