Consistent seating depth after barrel length change?

jebel

There has been discussion on the forum about seating depth and whether or not finding the right depth is a matter of barrel harmonics, or a different and unrelated set of factors. This question is in that ballpark.

I have a rifle (6 Creedmoor) for which I ran a seating depth test. I did not run meaningful powder charge tests. I am now in the process of cutting down the barrel length. Would you expect the original seating depth results to still hold true in the shorter barrel, or is that data now garbage?

I don't know the answer, though will find out eventually. I'm asking so as to save myself the trouble of a new seating depth test, if one of you fine folks has been in my shoes. Either way, it may shed some light on the question of what drives seating depth preference for a given bullet/load.

I believe your chosen seating depth will hold (as tested best) throughout this change.
In my view, best land relationship is establishing highest quality throat engagement. I don't think seating testing is tuning, but traversing a bullet's better or worse barrel interfacing.

I doubt it will change. I had the smith chamber me a 24"'and 28"'barrel at the same time. They shoot the same exact load just different speeds.

I doubt it will change. I had the smith chamber me a 24"'and 28"'barrel at the same time. They shoot the same exact load just different speeds.

Ive used the same reamer to chamber two identical barrels and they would not shoot the same load. To the OP it is an interesting question. I would guess it would have very little effect.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts