Consistent first round flier

I have had several rifles just like this and can pretty well assure you that the spine of the barrel is not located perpendicular to the rifle. Most of the time production rifles are close enough to being straight that companies do not bother with it but every one in so many are going to be warped more than acceptable. To correct this you will have to unbarrel your rifle and align the spine, this will require cutting the flange on the barrel and probably reaming it again. Happy shooting.
The only thing that makes me think that isn't the problem, is that the rifle never did this the first several hundred rounds. It always shot the first shot the same place as the 5th shot, within an moa or so.

Got a 223 that does the same thing with iron sights. Kinda takes the scope argument out of play (at least for me).
Good luck and be sure to post the fix when you find it.

The only thing that makes me think that isn't the problem, is that the rifle never did this the first several hundred rounds. It always shot the first shot the same place as the 5th shot, within an moa or so.
Let us know what the remedy was if you get it figured out.

Put your thumb on top of your trigger finger. Don't wrap your thumb around the rifle. I'll try and get you a pic on here soon. I'll put a video if I can for you as well. I'll help as much as I can.

Cold bore zero. Assuming this is vs a sporter (thin/hunting) barrel. It's not uncommon for first shot to be different then a warm/hot barrel.
As some stated above. Know what cold bore zero is and send.

Competition I participated in Missouri. You had to know cold bore at land owners discretion. He'd put a 5" steel target anywhere from 50-325 yds. We were allowed spotter and range finders. But it wouldn't matter if you didn't know cold bore zero. If you missed target you had to add $25.00 to the money pot to stay in the game.

Update for anyone wondering-
Worked on the rifle some today. I cleaned the bolt, dry fired the rifle a couple times while on target just before actually shooting, swapped out the scope with a proven NF NXS from another rifle, pulled the stock off to verify no barrel contact and put back on and torqued screws to 40 in/lbs. Still having first round flier, so there's a couple more things I'm going to try when it stops raining.

Put your thumb on top of your trigger finger. Don't wrap your thumb around the rifle. I'll try and get you a pic on here soon. I'll put a video if I can for you as well. I'll help as much as I can.
The rifle has a thumb hole stock, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I'll give it a try though and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

Update for anyone wondering-
Worked on the rifle some today. I cleaned the bolt, dry fired the rifle a couple times while on target just before actually shooting, swapped out the scope with a proven NF NXS from another rifle, pulled the stock off to verify no barrel contact and put back on and torqued screws to 40 in/lbs. Still having first round flier, so there's a couple more things I'm going to try when it stops raining.
When you shoot your first shot is it right after cleaning? Then once it is fouled it doesn't have flyers? Most of the time your first will be different not because it is "cold" it is because there is oil still in the lands and groves. It is because it is not "fouled". I alway foul my barrel with at least one shot after cleaning and before shooting targets or hunting.

When you shoot your first shot is it right after cleaning? Then once it is fouled it doesn't have flyers? Most of the time your first will be different not because it is "cold" it is because there is oil still in the lands and groves. It is because it is not "fouled". I alway foul my barrel with at least one shot after cleaning and before shooting targets or hunting.
It had about 40 shots down the pipe since the last cleaning when I started trying to find the problem. I'm really starting to think it's a barrel issue since it didn't use to do this, and I've checked about everything else that I can.

Have you tried increasing the torque on the action screws?
Try 55 and 65, let us know if anything changes.

Cheers.