Consistent first round flier

It is possible to have a bedding job go south with the barreled action canted right or left (ask me how I know). BTW, are the screws contacting any part of the stock or bedding? In other words, is there any binding or does it feel different (when tightening) at 3 o'clock vs. 9 o'clock?
I'm not sure, I'll check it out and see

Thunder,
My personal opinion based on my experience with the exact same rifle.....rings and bases. Mostly bases I believe. I used the ones that came with my to begin with and it shot good for a bit then started getting fliers. Long story short...I ended up changing scope bases and problem went away.
Now, the erratic speeds....I still haven't completely eliminated that. Got considerably better when I changed primers and went to 1680 powder but still not great ES.
I absolutely love that rifle.... awesome for prairie dogs when the wind isn't bad.
Where in WV are you, I live there too.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Scooter
I verified rings and bases were tight, never really thought anything else about since they were tight. I really like the rifle also, it has been a great gun up until the flier issue started happening.
I'm in mineral county, how about yourself?

I verified rings and bases were tight, never really thought anything else about since they were tight. I really like the rifle also, it has been a great gun up until the flier issue started happening.
I'm in mineral county, how about yourself?
Im not exactly sure what it was but I got a set of decent bases and my problem went away. Obviously I can't guarantee that it would fix yours but it worked for me. It took me a bit to get that rifle lined out, but once I did, I loved it. I think my farthest p dog with it is 363 or 365....I love being able to watch everything through the scope.

Ahh I see, you're a way away from me then lol. I'm down in Cabell just above Huntington....but don't worry, the ole gold and blue are in my house......
Scooter

Had this issue with a .30-06 several years ago and found that it was a thermal issue. The barrel heated up enough to move the impact even though the amount of heat was not significant to the touch.

I have taken a lot of long range shooting classes, all the way up to ELR, and all the instructors say that cold bore shots will vary, and you need to know your clean cold bore POI, your dirty cold bore POI. this guy explains it all in 2.5 minutes:

If any of my barrels shoot to a different POA with a cold bore, they get pulled and sold, or the rifle goes down the road.
Have only ever seen this with hammer forged barrels that were not heat treated correctly. Never seen it with button rifled barrels whether CM or S/S.
Have heard of a cut rifled barrel doing this twice, and it was due to heat treat as well. Cryo fixed the barrels in question.

Why put up with a barrel that shoots the first shot to a different POI?
I don't get it.

Cheers.

If any of my barrels shoot to a different POA with a cold bore, they get pulled and sold, or the rifle goes down the road.
Have only ever seen this with hammer forged barrels that were not heat treated correctly. Never seen it with button rifled barrels whether CM or S/S.
Have heard of a cut rifled barrel doing this twice, and it was due to heat treat as well. Cryo fixed the barrels in question.

Why put up with a barrel that shoots the first shot to a different POI?
I don't get it.

Cheers.
I agree, I really have no use for a rifle with POI after one shot. I don't always need a second shot, but when I do, I don't want to guesstimate how much to hold off from 100-300 yards or whatever distance I'm shooting at a critter

Im not exactly sure what it was but I got a set of decent bases and my problem went away. Obviously I can't guarantee that it would fix yours but it worked for me. It took me a bit to get that rifle lined out, but once I did, I loved it. I think my farthest p dog with it is 363 or 365....I love being able to watch everything through the scope.

Ahh I see, you're a way away from me then lol. I'm down in Cabell just above Huntington....but don't worry, the ole gold and blue are in my house......
Scooter
It sounds like it's definitely worth a try, it won't hurt anything that's for sure. I've done a good bit of groundhog and predator hunting with mine and works great. Even shot a couple deer with it, the farthest being a hair over 200 yards. Yet to have one run over 40 yards with 25 grain HP. Thanks for the help! Let's go eers

I shoot several rifles in competition. Most of them require between 3 and 5 shots before they settle down and cluster in a good group. A little powder fouling solves the problem.

I had a similar issue years ago with a Kustom 270 I tried everything checked double checked nothing helped. Called my Smith he said sounds like SCOPE -NO WAY brand new Leupold sure enough changed scope no more first shot flier

Jim

I have a Savage model 25 having issues with first round fliers. First shot from every group will hit about the same place. Every shot after the first one goes low right and will group about MOA with shots 2-5 or however many I decide to shoot. I can let the gun set for 15 minutes, shoot another group and it does the same exact thing again. It's a 17 hornet with around 800 rounds down the pipe, it use to shoot 5 shoot groups 3/4 moa consistently. I've cleaned the barrel really good since the issues started, thinking it was just dirty but that didn't help. I've checked the rings, mounts, and stock torque. I bedded the action and that didn't help. My bore scope won't fit in the 17 cal barrel so I can't check it out.
Picture is of two groups shot about 20 minutes apart.
View attachment 268620
I have had several rifles just like this and can pretty well assure you that the spine of the barrel is not located perpendicular to the rifle. Most of the time production rifles are close enough to being straight that companies do not bother with it but every one in so many are going to be warped more than acceptable. To correct this you will have to unbarrel your rifle and align the spine, this will require cutting the flange on the barrel and probably reaming it again. Happy shooting.