Consistency with my 300WM???

scooterf79

Hey guys,

I picked up a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter 300WM at Cabela's on clearance about 18mos ago with the intention of using it for elk hunt this fall.(heavier than I wanted but…) Got my scope this spring and started shooting some and accuracy has been just so so. So, I'm asking for some opinions/help.

Here's my setup:

Savage LRH 300WM w/accutrigger

Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44

Warne Maxima ring and bases

Ammo:

I've tried a little bit of factory ammo, mostly just to get it on paper(due to ammo shortages)

Reloads: I was really wanting to try an all copper bullet (for penetration in case of a bad shot angle) so I started with the Barnes 180gr ttsx.

Brass: Started with some 1x fired Rem brass I had, now using new Peterson Long.

Primers: Fed 215s

Barnes TTSX
IMR 4831
I had a couple of groups right at 1MOA at .1 off. Farther off and closer opened my groups up to as much as 2in. I thought the rifle should/could do better.

166gr Hammer Hunter bullets

IMR 4350

Initial loads looking for max looked promising. So the next loads I tried in the 70-72gr range I had 2 groups right at or just under .5 MOA (3 shots). I thought I'd hit the jackpot. (I shot 3 groups….groups 1 and 3 were great, group 2 not so much)

Tried to repeat the load…..haven't been able to come close…..best I've gotten is around 1.25 MOA.

Im really struggling to find much consistency with this rifle. I've checked to make sure all is tight, making sure my technique is consistent (and good).

Couple things I thought about.

1)Trying a lead core bullet and see if there's a noticeable difference in accuracy….but with today's availability, I'm not sure how much I can try

I have a few more powders available, a couple pounds each of IMR 7828, H-1000, Re-22, Retumbo.

2) I've only shot the rifle with the brake open….would closing it make a difference in accuracy?

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!

Scooter

Ill have to go back and check my overall length but I went .05, .100, .150, then .185 off...... 0.1 was the best but still not great....
Scooter

I had really good success with 190gr Sierra match kings for practice. and IMR4831. I have the impulse in 300 win mag so should be same barrel. I think I was about 0.070-0.080 off the lands. I have yet to try a copper bullet but I would try something heavier. I am going to try the hammer hunter 181gr and barnes lrx 190gr. I also have tried the imr7828 and imr4955 with good success. I am running the IMR4955 now and it is about .5-.75 MOA consistently on a bipod. My coal was about 3.410 I think with the match kings. If you are going to stay with the lighter bullets I would try a different powder. and check the scope too.

Since you got a couple of pretty good groups with IMR4350 I would make sure you get ALL of the carbon and copper out of the barrel before firing another group.
Carbon can be hard to get out if you don't use a carbon cleaner.There are several great carbon cleaners on the market.
Just one of many things to to look at for better groups

Last edited:
I could never get good consistent groups out of the two 300's I own with bullets lighter than 200 grains. One is dialed in using 200 nosler partitions, the other uses 205 Berger. Both shoot less than an MOA at 450. I use H4831SC, CCI 250 and nosler brass for both. I'm about .075 off with the bergers. Don't remember what the other one is at, but it's likely greater than .075.

My Tikka (1:11 twist) is a death ray using Barnes 165 TTSX bullets ahead of H4831sc (a grain or 2 under Barnes's MAX) and at 3.330 COL. Consistently .56-.62" 3 shot groups.
The 165 penetrates everything completely including elk well. So be careful of what is on the other side!
Oh, it chronographs at 3,189 fps.

You might double check all your screws, rifle and scope. Just a thought. 300 WMs are usually better than what you're getting.

Last edited:
My Tikka (1:11 twist) is a death ray using Barnes 165 TTSX bullets ahead of H4831sc (a grain or 2 under Barnes's MAX) and at 3.330 COL. Consistently .56-.62" 3 shot groups.
The 165 penetrates everything completely including elk well. So be careful of what is on the other side!
Oh, it chronographs at 3,189 fps.

You might double check all your screws, rifle and scope. Just a thought. 300 WMs are usually better than what you're getting.
How does the TTSX do on deer/antelope?