Considering rebarreling my 300WSM, would like some opinions...

I have a custom 300WSM built off of a M70 action. It will likely be. 3 contour SS barrel with a side port break to keep the build a little more budget minded. The 3 calibers I'm probably considering are 300PRC, 270WSM, and 6.5PRC. I'm leaning 6.5 bc I don't own a rifle in a 6.5 right now but I'm open to ideas. Thoughts??
I would have to go 270wsm with a fast twist barrel

6.5 PRC (6.5X300Ruger Compact Mag) is not a bad choice. 6.5 WSM would give you a tad more plus you could form easily from Lapua 270 WSM. Sherman shorts are an option, I believe.....they are the SAUM case??

Don't forget Nate at MBM when brake shopping.

What is the magazine length on that rifle? Can it go 3.00 or more?

BTW, like your action choice! Don't tell anybody how well you like it!

I agree but this one has been a touch finicky. I just got a full custom 7RM from Horizons Firearms so it will do anything the 300WSM could. I feel like I might be able to end up with a less finicky rifle in a new cartridge.

What's wrong with the 300WSM?I mean really,it's a great round.

I'm leaning 6.5 PRC. The mag length is 3.00" if I'm not mistaken.

6.5 PRC (6.5X300Ruger Compact Mag) is not a bad choice. 6.5 WSM would give you a tad more plus you could form easily from Lapua 270 WSM. Sherman shorts are an option, I believe.....they are the SAUM case??

Don't forget Nate at MBM when brake shopping.

What is the magazine length on that rifle? Can it go 3.00 or more?

BTW, like your action choice! Don't tell anybody how well you like it!

The BC of 6.5 bullets over the 30 caliber makes it a great choice. Seating it deeper to fit your magazine should not hinder its accuracy.

Do you really think the bullets would need to be seated that deep with a 3.00" mag length available?

The BC of 6.5 bullets over the 30 caliber makes it a great choice. Seating it deeper to fit your magazine should not hinder its accuracy.

Lt: your have build on the length action.. if you have the short you have to stay under 56mm ,and if you have the regular you can go to max 66mm length case.. and it depends on what you want to hunt with it. for big stuff on a short action the 325 winchester is as good as it gets. on long action the bigger cal shermans and for long range the 6.5 shermans.. I do not like the 270 short mag but do like the old 270 winchester. If i wanted a long range short mag I think, no I am sure the old 6.5 remington magnum in a 24 " bbl will shoot with all the 6.5 s and push the 264 win. look at the data on the 6.5 remington mag. you must remember most of the data was with the 120 gr ina very short bbl.. for the 6.5 rem. cases are commerical and strong. reloading dies are normal and the bullets are many.. I shoot the 6.5/06 it is one of the best. however the 6.5 rem mag is just and good and mabe alittle better on a short action and the case is stronger.. some say the belted action is not a accurate. tht is bull the most accurate rifle I have ever seen is a 7mm remington mag .

6.5 PRC because Hornady developed it and makes excellent ammo and components, that is if you want a 6.5 caliber. Of course, I own a 270 WSM and it will and does everything the 6.5 PRC does and is 200 to 300 fps faster. In the end - get what you want so you will be happy.

T is correct you get what makes you happy all the above will take all north american game except the creedmore. if it goes bang and hits the vitals all game will fall soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.