Considering rebarreling my 300WSM, would like some opinions...

Ltsheets

I have a custom 300WSM built off of a M70 action. It will likely be. 3 contour SS barrel with a side port break to keep the build a little more budget minded. The 3 calibers I'm probably considering are 300PRC, 270WSM, and 6.5PRC. I'm leaning 6.5 bc I don't own a rifle in a 6.5 right now but I'm open to ideas. Thoughts??

6.5 is a great caliber. High SD, good BC, good bullet weight range too. From 75 to 160.

Mild recoiling, about as perfect of a deer/antelope caliber there is. Some people use it for elk/moose, I wouldn't though.

Hand loading or buying factory?

I'd develop a handload for it and find a factory load it likes regardless of caliber. I like having a factory backup in case I don't have time to reload for some reason.

6.5 is a great caliber. High SD, good BC, good bullet weight range too. From 75 to 160.

Mild recoiling, about as perfect of a deer/antelope caliber there is. Some people use it for elk/moose, I wouldn't though.

Hand loading or buying factory?

I have a custom 300WSM built off of a M70 action. It will likely be. 3 contour SS barrel with a side port break to keep the build a little more budget minded. The 3 calibers I'm probably considering are 300PRC, 270WSM, and 6.5PRC. I'm leaning 6.5 bc I don't own a rifle in a 6.5 right now but I'm open to ideas. Thoughts??
Is it a long action?
What is the primary use going to be?

Its a short action. Was a factory WSM before I built off it.

It would for hunting primarily. I have a full custom, average weight 7RM and lightweight 280AI that are my other primary hunting rifles.

Is it a long action?
What is the primary use going to be?

I looked into the 6.5PRC on a recent 300WSM build and ran up against the COAL of the 6.5PRC being a bit of a problem with what I had in DM setup.

so you're saying reaching the lands with say a 140vld due to the mag box was an issue?

I looked into the 6.5PRC on a recent 300WSM build and ran up against the COAL of the 6.5PRC being a bit of a problem with what I had in DM setup.

Being that you have 2 similar 7s which are very elk capable and you appear to not want to go back to a 30 then I'd look as a 65 short mag with the Sherman topping the list. It would be a flat shooting screamer with a 130 grainer or ultra mean medication with a 156 at over 3k.

Edit-i just noticed your desire to find a quality factory round. That would make the 65 prc am attractive choice. Problem is, I'm not sure how well it would work with your wsm configuration.

I on the other hand want to build a short lightweight rig in a 338 or 300 short mag variant.

My goal is a 20 inch lightweight slinging a 250 berger at 2600.

What will you be hunting on a yearly basis and to what ranges are you consi

I haven't considered a 6.5 Sherman. Honestly not familiar with it at all. I'd have to look into it. What advantages would it have over a 6.5PRC?

Being that you have 2 similar 7s which are very elk capable and you appear to not want to go back to a 30 then I'd look as a 65 short mag with the Sherman topping the list. It would be a flat shooting screamer with a 130 grainer or ultra mean medication with a 156 at over 3k.

Edit-i just noticed your desire to find a quality factory round. That would make the 65 prc am attractive choice. Problem is, I'm not sure how well it would work with your wsm configuration.

I on the other hand want to build a short lightweight rig in a 338 or 300 short mag variant.

My goal is a 20 inch lightweight slinging a 250 berger at 2600.

Primarily more horsepower. Problem is it's a fire formed improved case design so no available ammo. On the plus side it uses a saum case as the parent which is supplied by ADG. Rich even has some cartridges head stamped with for him by adg ready to shoot.

Google Sherman short mags and it will give you his website plus multiple discussions right here.

Gotcha, well I have a 70 WSM/ Edge handle, Brux barrel in 7 WSM. I've had 300 WSM and 338/300WSM barrel on it.

That said, if starting from scratch, I'd no doubt 6.5 PRC. Factory ammo available, less recoil than the others, yet good in the wind. Plenty of gas to take elk to long ranges if the shooter is up to it.

Zero doubt this is the way I go

Primarily more horsepower. Problem is it's a fire formed improved case design so no available ammo. On the plus side it uses a saum case as the parent which is supplied by ADG. Rich even has some cartridges head stamped with for him by adg ready to shoot.

Google Sherman short mags and it will give you his website plus multiple discussions right here.
Loaded ammo is on the horizon🙂

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts