Considering my next Mcgowen for my 300 win mag tactical build. Have ?'s

Southernfryedyankee

What length barrel and OD muzzle .920 or 1"
I am thinking a 26" 1-11 twist (for 190 gr Sierra match kings)

I know it will be heavy but won't the heavier barrel help with vibration and thus increase accuracy. I am used to shooting a 7mag with a sporter barrel so I would imagine the recoil would be more relaxed with a heavier barrel. Any opinions on this statement

Dont know what you want to do with your rifle but I allmost have all the parts for mine.

I am building a 300 win mag with a 28" barrel 1-10 twist .750 at the muzzle I would rather have the the few extra FPS out of the 28 versus the 26.

I dont know how heavy it will be the military M40 and M24 have muzzle diamiters around .900. If you where using it as a hunting rifle I would stay below this. The weight will help with the recoil but so will a muzzle brake.

TO be honest I dont know I have heard for every inch you lose 100 fps to a point plus or minus.

I like the look of a long barrel as well and 28" for a win mag or a rum chambering does not seam to be uncomon on here. I think 26" is the norm for a 300 win mag in a factory rifle.

I have one rifle on the way in 260 rem thats not for hunting but I wanted to be able to fire the rifle prone, standing and kneeling as well as over barriers. I went .875 at the muzzle on that for versitilty.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.