Considering McMillan stock for Ruger Hawkeye African .375 Ruger

Mike027

Good afternoon, I'm hoping you all can point me in the right direction on this. I have a Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger (older model - no brake) and I would like to replace the wood stock with a synthetic (looking at a moose hunt in the next couple years). I see that HS Precision makes a stock for this rifle but I was thinking perhaps a McMillan is the way to go. Unfortunately I have zero experience with their stocks. Would the installation of the McMillan require the services of a gunsmith to deal with pillars or bedding? Also, if anyone has a recommendation on a specific model of McMillan please by all means let me know. Thanks for any guidance you can provide. Mike

Good morning,
I would go McMillan before HS Precision because I like the feel better. You can look at their website and see what they will inlet it for. I have an old Tang Safety and all they will inlet for is the similar factory version (I love it though). I bedded the front lug, but that was it. Fit is very good and didn't need to send to a GS, it dropped right in.

Stockys website has a better search function and you could find the stocks they inlet for it and then go to McMillan and order. It will be a few months, but worth it in my opinion. I think they do more for the Mark 2 than the Tanger for sure. I would call them.

Ruger Tang Safety 300 WM. "McWoody".

6ABCBCB9-0F15-4EA3-A5B2-05EA2F9F9DC2.jpeg
AD9FA630-DF91-46DE-BA78-C9DA8C2C9EA5.jpeg

Thanks for the help guys. The mcwoody looks nice. If I read their website correctly that is a molded stock. I'm up in the U.P. sitting on my bear stand as I type this but I will give McMillan a call next week when I get back home. I have no issues with the HS Precision stock either. I actually have that same model on a 6.5 Creed build with a Kreiger #4 barrel. The gunsmith had to open up the channel a little bit and I think that I would need to open it up a bit for the .375 barrel as well. I could probably manage that myself if Im careful. Thanks again and have a safe weekend all. Mike