Considering 7mm Ultra

Tumbleweed

Hi guys, need some input from your personal experiences with the 7mm ultra mag. I am considering building one with a 28" or 30" tube and will most likely run 180VLD's, possibly 168VLD's--will use bergers exclusively. What kind of real world velocities are you guys getting from either of these bullets? What kind of barrel life is expected in this caliber? Thanks

I have 26 inch barrel and I can get 3150 with 180's with no pressure signs at all. I may could get more but that load is very accurate. I shot a 5 inch group at 1000 yds. Can't tell you about barrel life mine only has about 300rds thru it. It is one of my favorite guns. Hope this helps. Dan

Can't comment on the velocity, but the barrel life will likely be in the 750-1250rd neighborhood. depending on how hard you push it and how hot you lets things get.

Hi guys, need some input from your personal experiences with the 7mm ultra mag. I am considering building one with a 28" or 30" tube and will most likely run 180VLD's, possibly 168VLD's--will use bergers exclusively. What kind of real world velocities are you guys getting from either of these bullets? What kind of barrel life is expected in this caliber? Thanks

I have been working on a wildcat 7mmsaum using a 300wsm case necking it down to 7MMM and moving the shoulder back .070. In reality it is a 7mmsaum long neck.
I have been shooting Berger 180vld and Hornady Amax 162. I have pushed the Amax up to 3100 but they were squirrley and Bergers at 3050 with no pressure problems. RL17 has been what I have settled in on but Rotuma and VV560 have also looked very good but, RL17 gives me the lowest ES so thats what I have chosen. Barrel life, I have over a 1000 shots on my Broughton Barrel and a gunsmith scoped it last week and said on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, he rated my barrell at a 2. I have had 3 and 4" groups at 1000yds and I am confident I can tighten them more playing with neck tension, seating depth and primers.

barrel 26" 1:9 twist

Load 91 grains Retumbo
bullets 175gr SMK and 180gr VLD
Muzzle velocity 3184fps av.
Groups between .3 and .5"
Both bullets shoot to the same POI due to muzzle brake.

91-93 grains Retumbo
168 grain Berger VLD
Bullet won't stabilise due to the long jump from the case neck to the lands as there is a point where the the bullet is neither in the case neck or engaged in the rifling.
91gr 3190fps group 1"
worked slowly up to:
93gr 3300 group 3"

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.