Considering 6mm x .284 vs. 6mm-06

Cetacea are you feeding your rig one at a time, from a box magazine and or from a clip?

I bet those 87's really toss those PD's around:)

The very first rifle I ever built was on a Turkish Mauser action. I chambered the barrel for a standard 284 Win. I had to open the feed rails slightly in the front to get it to feed. I built a 6x284 on a Rem 700 and it fed fine like it was. For what it's worth......

The very first rifle I ever built was on a Turkish Mauser action. I chambered the barrel for a standard 284 Win. I had to open the feed rails slightly in the front to get it to feed. I built a 6x284 on a Rem 700 and it fed fine like it was. For what it's worth......
[/QUOTE]
ah-hh, now that's interesting! I'm definitely going to have to find some .65-284 or .284 brass to play with. better now while working on the build.

Reviving this thread in hopes some 6mm-284 or 6mm-06 owners have ran some of the 105gr and heavier bullets. I will be working on 6mm PRC load development soon with N165 with 108 elds, 110 A-tips , 110 smk, or 109 Berger's. I have those on hand. 26" barrel 7.75 twist. Seeking feedback on observed velocity & accuracy with any of the projectiles mentioned.

Consider the 6mm Rem Ackley Improved. Velocity is real close to what the 6/284. Feeds effortlessly in a Mauser '98.
I had a short action mag bolt face available. I've already got it put together & a 6.5 prc on hand to feed brass to the 6mm prc.

Both are not especially efficient as they are overbore. A 6.5-06 with a heavy bullet twist makes more sense for a hunting rifle. OR you could just sell it and buy a 6.5 PRC which is the best hunting 6.5.
Lol

Sorry, I know this doesn't add anything to the discussion, just couldn't resist 😅

I had a short action mag bolt face available. I've already got it put together & a 6.5 prc on hand to feed brass to the 6mm prc.
Yes,,, but the OP has a commercial Mauser '98. Completely different beast than a SA with a magnum bolt face. I don't see where any of the PRC cartridges have anything to do with what the OP asked about. The cartridge I suggested, that may have been overlooked, would be a 'drop-in' with very similar performance as the 2 mentioned in the opening post of this thread. The .284 case, no matter what the bore diameter, will require feed rail and feed ramp work in a Mauser '98 to feed properly. And, the width of the magazine box, its self, is not designed for the added diameter of the .284 case, which will reduce magazine capacity and further feeding issues. Any PRC in a Mauser '98 is gonna' require a ton of work. I do have experience with the 6mm/284 and the 6mm Rem Ackley improved. The .284 case in a Mauser can be a challenge because of the semi-rebated rim. .500 at the web, .473 rim.

Last edited:
Yes,,, but the OP has a commercial Mauser '98. Completely different beast than a SA with a magnum bolt face. I don't see where any of the PRC cartridges have anything to do with what the OP asked about. The cartridge I suggested, that may have been overlooked, would be a 'drop-in' with very similar performance as the 2 mentioned in the opening post of this thread. The .284 case, no matter what the bore diameter, will require feed rail and feed ramp work in a Mauser '98 to feed properly. And, the width of the magazine box, its self, is not designed for the added diameter of the .284 case, which will reduce magazine capacity and further feeding issues. Any PRC in a Mauser '98 is gonna' require a ton of work. I do have experience with the 6mm/284 and the 6mm Rem Ackley improved. The .284 case in a Mauser can be a challenge because of the semi-rebated rim. .500 at the web, .473 rim.
The thread was almost a year old. I was trying to restart it to see if any of the guys who had previously posted had experimented with the 105gr & heavier bullets in 6mm-06 or 6mm-284 since those two are ballistic twins to my 6mmPRC. I guess I hijacked a dead thread. My fault for the confusion.

If anyone is curious, the 6mm PRC feeds through a Winchester 70 WSM action like melted butter through a funnel. Factory magazine length on my 70 WSM action is 3.010". Plenty of room.

I built a standard 284 on a Turkish mauser action and had to open the feed rails slightly to get it to feed. The nose of the bullet would hit low on the face of the barrel. Once I opened it up so the round would come up with the nose higher, I never had a problem. Since then, that barrel went south. On the next barrel, I went to a standard 280 Rem and it still feeds fine.