Considering 6.5-300 Weatherby

diamonddave2

Hi,
I'm Dave and I've come across a Weatherby Accumark used in 6.5-3oo Weatherby for $775 without a scope. I'm first off wondering if the barrel, is shot out, or not. Then my question is what is the expected terminal ballistic performance of the new Hornady A Tip Match? Is it going to be a bullet one could hunt with? Anyone do any gel tests on it? The 153 grain looks to be a great bullet for this caliber. I'm also wondering if the other heavy for caliber high BC bullets are going to offer better ultra long range ballistic performance over the 140 grain pills out there? I'm currently experimenting with the 224 Valkyrie in a custom E.A. Brown barrel in my T/C Contender. The Weatherby is a whole different animal. What's your opinions on this possible purchase. The factory loads are very expensive, so that's a consideration, as well. I was thinking of putting together a light mountain rifle in 6.5 PRS, but this rifle came up. It's not light (but, my shoulder might appreciate the extra weight in recoil). Your thoughts?
Diamond Dave

$775 sounds like a decent price for an action, and stock. If it's shot out you have the basis for a re-barrel.
Get access to a bore scope, and you can see what shape it's in before buying it.

At that price, I would assume the barrel is toast. That is far less than market value for pretty much any Mark V, let alone one that is at most a few years old.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts