Considering 3 Brands-Models of Muzzle Brakes- Any Opinions?

Veteran

I have a .338 Lapua Magnum, Savage BA-110 LE , 17 lbs. I plan to use it mainly for long range targets, and long range hunting, all from a fixed, set
position, so weight is not a big deal. I am more concerned with Recoil reduction and accuracy and achieving a balance or the optimum best of both worlds for those two criteria, though I think I understand there is possibly some trade-off or conflict in the two depending on HOW recoil is reduced in a specific muzzle brake. I have read that accuracy is improved when there is a more balanced approach to have gas ports on the bottom and the top, regardless of the potential for dust signature, or flying debris. This is from actual testing of MOA vs. port design.

Here are the three my search has turned up that seem promising:

1) American Precision Arms - Fat Bastard, Generation 3 with tunable top and bottom gas ports.
Is the tunable part of this more hype than actual help? Does it just add another dimension of uncertainty or can it be deciphered--does it work?

2) Terminator T-4 (now available in the U.S. market)

3) Precision Armament - Hypertap or M11- Severe Duty

I'm more concerned with achieving accuracy and reducing recoil than the cost difference between all these choices, unless I can just get the same or very close to the same result from one of these and save several hundred dollars vs. other choices. But how would you rank the very best technical solution out of these three? Then what about the Bang for your buck choice?

I plan to integrate a barrel tuner in with this new brake. I have not yet decided which one. I am still looking at the EC Tuner, the ATS, The Ezell PDT,
and Harrell's, but using one of these brakes, because I think these brakes are better than the integrated tuner brake products offered for the
.338 LM rifle. Ie, I might just go with an integrated product if this was for a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7 mm mag. or something, but I want something a little better for the .338 LM and a tuner too.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts, ideas, questions, and your experience most of all.

I've heard good words on the Terminator - and that's from serious professionals that have tried many. Brian at Shootlong.com carries them.

Have you looked at the Painkiller? I've got one of them on an 7 Allen Mag and it is absolutely incredible. Light rifle, but kicks less than a braked Creedmoor. Brakes are funny things. What works good on one case size might not be the best fit on another. Muzzle pressure makes a big difference.

watch the test videos on https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/testing-videos he compares his against a bunch of brakes . Nathan builds a good brake . A guy I shoot with just put a 5 port self timing on his 24" 338 lapua . it's a night and day difference . with the old brake he was done after about 8 or 10 shots , now he shoots as much as he wants . it also took all the jump out of the rifle . I have a 4 port on my 30' 338 lapua . I bought it before the 5 ports were available . I think I'm going to buy a 5 port ,sometimes I loose my sight picture on recoil .

edit to add ;

if the side ports are properly shaped there is no need for top ports . top ports are for muzzle rise control .

Last edited:
I have a .338 Lapua Magnum, Savage BA-110 LE , 17 lbs. I plan to use it mainly for long range targets, and long range hunting, all from a fixed, set
position, so weight is not a big deal. I am more concerned with Recoil reduction and accuracy and achieving a balance or the optimum best of both worlds for those two criteria, though I think I understand there is possibly some trade-off or conflict in the two depending on HOW recoil is reduced in a specific muzzle brake. I have read that accuracy is improved when there is a more balanced approach to have gas ports on the bottom and the top, regardless of the potential for dust signature, or flying debris. This is from actual testing of MOA vs. port design.

Here are the three my search has turned up that seem promising:

1) American Precision Arms - Fat Bastard, Generation 3 with tunable top and bottom gas ports.
Is the tunable part of this more hype than actual help? Does it just add another dimension of uncertainty or can it be deciphered--does it work?

2) Terminator T-4 (now available in the U.S. market)

3) Precision Armament - Hypertap or M11- Severe Duty

I'm more concerned with achieving accuracy and reducing recoil than the cost difference between all these choices, unless I can just get the same or very close to the same result from one of these and save several hundred dollars vs. other choices. But how would you rank the very best technical solution out of these three? Then what about the Bang for your buck choice?

I plan to integrate a barrel tuner in with this new brake. I have not yet decided which one. I am still looking at the EC Tuner, the ATS, The Ezell PDT,
and Harrell's, but using one of these brakes, because I think these brakes are better than the integrated tuner brake products offered for the
.338 LM rifle. Ie, I might just go with an integrated product if this was for a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7 mm mag. or something, but I want something a little better for the .338 LM and a tuner too.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts, ideas, questions, and your experience most of all.
Eric Cortina is the answer, call him.

watch the test videos on https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/testing-videos he compares his against a bunch of brakes . Nathan builds a good brake . A guy I shoot with just put a 5 port self timing on his 24" 338 lapua . it's a night and day difference . with the old brake he was done after about 8 or 10 shots , now he shoots as much as he wants . it also took all the jump out of the rifle . I have a 4 port on my 30' 338 lapua . I bought it before the 5 ports were available . I think I'm going to buy a 5 port ,sometimes I loose my sight picture on recoil .

edit to add ;

if the side ports are properly shaped there is no need for top ports . top ports are for muzzle rise control .
I love the testing videos! Thank you for sending that link. This definitely tells me the Beast and T-4 are tops at recoil reduction.
I wouldn't be as impressed with the Fat Bastard unless I knew there was a much better MOA accuracy trade-off for less recoil reduction. There must be some reason though why its the single top used brake for long range benchrest shooters according to several things I read? Ie, it might not reduce recoil quite as much but close, but is more accurate than others?

Do you know of anyone who has done similar testing of different brakes looking at MOA vs. the different brakes?