Consider a Vapor Barrier Liner suit

Litehiker

Sleeping bags, especially down bags, get more and more moisture accuracy,ulation in them every day in truly cold weather camping, especially if weather prevents airing them out.

DWR treated down (DownTek and DriDown) do help reduce that retention by about 30% and do dry faster by about 65% but the bags still get damper, colder and heavier every night.

Wearing a VBL pants and shirt over a thin polyester or polypropylene base layer kept 90% of that moisture from ever getting into the bag. This keeps the bag warm and light day after day.

Most of us may never camp in sub-zero weather (I do) but if you do research VBL clothing. Stephenson Warmlite even sells a suit.

And as those who post here know, I am an advocate of 3 mm closed cell neoprene divers' sox over thin poly liners for all cold weather boots, GTX, felt pacs, ski boots, etc. These VBLs keep the boot insulation dry and warm.

Eric B.

Very few people other than arctic explorers need VBL clothing. My guess is that very few people hunt for days at a time while sleeping out in sub zero cold. Unless you are spending multiple nights sleeping in sub zero temps, with no chance to warm and dry your bag, VBL clothing is a waste.

snake,

I'm planning of a 5 day stay in overnight temperatures at -10 F to-25 F. at 9,000 ft. so I think a VBL suit is in my future.

I have an old (1980s) down mummy "topper" that I hold on my bag and mattresses with three elastic bands sewn to the topper. That should give me at least another 15 F. plus I'll have puffy clothing I can wear in my bag. I tried the puffy jacket and pants and there is no "crowding" of the bag or compression of the puffys. If all that is not enough I'll just go home.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.