Confused as to what to do!

Hears a thought, Switch barrel rifle. Today it can be an Edge,tomorrow a 280AI,and the next day? Tell the wife its like having all those dang shoes,only that "you" will use them.:D

Hears a thought, Switch barrel rifle. Today it can be an Edge,tomorrow a 280AI,and the next day? Tell the wife its like having all those dang shoes,only that "you" will use them.:D

I'm going to work this angle real soon:D I may have to through purses in to, some of those things will buy a top of the line barrel, chamber and ready and they can't even put the meat on the table.

Yeah but look at all the goodies you can sneak in the movies :) and I've tried those angles before it seems that woman can't see a guys point of view or understand our need of toys but can justify shoes anyday. I found that it's easier (when involving guns) to get forgivness than permission :D

Got out and did some shooting Saturday and while the groups were just well I was happy to a point they were all 6 inches to the left! not much adjustment in the Nikon scope and yeah I more than likely was a couple thou off when I drilled and tapped the scope mount holes! told ya I wasn't perfect, I guess I need to figure out another scope with more adjustment for this rifle. I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a fun rifle and look forward to some long shots on a few deer might even take it out to the LR range and see how it does on plates out to 1K. Fella's it time to hit the sheets! Later,

Kirk

There an axiom in the military to make a decision. It may not be the best decision, but if you look at the available information it will be better than making no decision.
Here are several 338 magnum cartridges with their case capacities in grains, pressure ratings in psi , and case lengths in inches.

338 Win mag 86 62366 2.500
330 Dakota 94 59465 2.530
340 Wby Mag 100 63817 2.825
338 Lapua 108 68167 2.724
338 Rem Ultra 110 63817 2.760
338 Edge 113 63817 2.850
338--378 Wby 123 63817 2.910

For a given bullet supersonic range increases as approximately the square root of the case-capacity X pressure product. Shooting 250 grain Lapua Scenars the 338 Win Mag with a 26" barrel has a supersonic range of about 1600 yards. The 338-378 Wby even with a 32" barrel increases supersonic range to about 1950 yards, only about 22% more.

If I had to choose between a 338 Rem Ultra and a 338 Edge. I'd choose the Rem Ultra for the only reason that it will allow a shallower seating depth for low drag bullets in most available actions. (Rem 700 and Sako) . The 338 Win Mag, 330 Dakota, and 338 Lapua are all better than either the 338 RUM or Edge in that respect.

But your decision doesn't have to be which one. It can be how many instead ;-)

LouBoyd, very well put sir! I'm kinda up in the air right now about this caliber, granted it would be great to have another or a couple of others this economy has me redirecting funds from my toys to those important boring things. Heck I still have a 308 build that I've been playing with for the last 18 months funny I just keep adding things :D. I would like to shoot the 300gr. SMK's so i'm sure if I do this I'll need to probably go with a larger capacity case I'm guessing. Fella's thanks so much for the information you have offered funny how you think you have done your research and others point out things you just didn't think about. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.