Confirm if I was correct, please.

What was the point? That 2 targets scored different because of SD.
Were they shot both Round Robin in the exact conditions?
Why is it one day a BR shooter can shoot 3" groups and very next day shoot exact same load and shoot 6" groups?
I dont think its because of SD.

I can directly correlate on one rifle with a lighter contour, bullets that drop out of the group due to 10fps less velocity. Its this one rifle. It does it no matter what bullet, powder or primer.
My other rifles with med or heavy sporters, not at 200 yards anyway and over a wide variety of bullets etc., and a much larger ES.

I'm guessing that 10.4 SD had a ES of around 35 thats pretty extreme for 1000 yards.
Compare a well tuned 3.5 -5.0 and see what you got.

What was the point? That 2 targets scored different because of SD.
Were they shot both Round Robin in the exact conditions?
Why is it one day a BR shooter can shoot 3" groups and very next day shoot exact same load and shoot 6" groups?
I dont think its because of SD.

It was two examples of many.

Again the smallest targets always tend to have low single digit SD's.....once the SD reaches double digits it becomes harder and harder to stay within a ten inch circle.

Feel free to post up your targets with double digit SD's that continuously shoot small.

It was two examples of many.

Again the smallest targets always tend to have low single digit SD's.....once the SD reaches double digits it becomes harder and harder to stay within a ten inch circle.

Feel free to post up your targets with double digit SD's that continuously shoot small.
I dont even keep track of SD or Es for that matter, the target is what I look at.
I dont need to post all my targets whats it gonna prove when there's no SD or ES numbers on them.

Theres a big difference between a SD of 1-9. If a cant do better than a 10" circle on game then i better stay in the truck and not even pull the trigger on an animal.
I've shot some pretty crappy single digit ES loads during load development and some pretty good mid upper teens ES.

Last edited:
Have to say I am humbled at the degree of helpful very knowledgeable responses I received to my request for increasing my knowledge and understanding of how SD & ES affect long range accuracy but especially how it differs from how a bullet's BC affects long range accuracy. I literally printed out this thread and gave it to my friend to help him understand the effects and differences of SD & ES and how they differ from bullet BC and their affects on long range accuracy, as that would be much more productive than myself trying to explain it to him.

Thanks to all once again.