Confidence & Expectation(s)

When I was a small kid, I have seen game animals killed with calibers that are not considered for taking of game. I have never seen a deer walk away when takin with such a gun, or even take a step. The only time I have seen a deer run was when I was much older. A very nice buck hit in the lungs from about 150 feet ran down hill a couple of hundred yards. When we finally found this buck, it had a "smear" about 3 feet long and a foot wide. When we rolled the carcass over, the deer had about 5 ribs missing. No hart or lungs and still it ran. The bullet used was a Remington Bronze Point in a factory 30-06 loading. The previous caliber used was indeed much much smaller, and the many deer taken, never made another step when hit. I know for a fact, that if you can hit 'em where you should, they will not get away.

Every gun has a bullet or two that they shoot really well. Being able to place the bullet on target will do more for your confidence than anything else. Most custom bullets (JLK, Berger, Cartarucci, Lost river) have very high BC and excellant downrange ballistics, plus they will expand. Sierra also is now back on line running and boxing their match bullets off one machine at a time instead of boxing 10 machines bullets in one box. This adds to their uniformity now. Truthfully, custom bullets are cheapest cost to this sport! buy and use what shoots best in your gun!!!

Problems with the custom bullets such as the Berger and JLK are, the jackets are MUCH thinner then the Sierra MK and have been known to blow up on game animals the size of deer and elk.
The Sierra does a much better job of holding together and expanding well on game animals.
Berger and JLK will tell you the same thing, jackets are to thin on their bullets for hunting.

I use Berger, JLK, GTB (Cataruccio) and Sierra for Match shooting at 1000 yards but, limit my hunting to Sierra MK after cutting the named bullets in half.

I have been able to make just about ANY rifle I have owned shoot well for LR hunting with selections of Sierra MK bullet weights.

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.