Concentricity

WV Sendero

I just got my Hornady Concentricity gauge set-up and measured the bullet runout on my current load I am working up for my Sendero 7mm. All 25 loads were within .0025, most were .002 or less. Is this an acceptable range?

I saw on here that some people measure the case necks rather than the ogives so I re-measured the cartridges on the necks and the run-out was significantly greater than was measured on the ogives (some were out .007" on necks but none were more than .0025" on ogive). As I did this I adjusted the run-out on the necks to be .0025" or better and when I re-checked the ogives again the run-out was .001" or less on all 25 rounds. So my question is, is it ok to adjust run-out on the necks?

I have one too and it is handy for bending them back but, it will not correct the neck from being off center. I use roller type device to measure the necks. Rolling them on glass is a fast way to check em.:)

You're in position to verify what I've said here all along -that concentricity gages(Hornady, H&H) mask runout. The reason your deviation seems to go up back on the necks is that the indicator is further from the pinned bullet nose. Further back on the body you would see even more, and further toward the bullet tip would show even less -on any ammo -with that gage.
If you measured that same ammo on a Sinclair roller/v-block type gage, you'd find that your runout is actually greater than you think.

You're in position to verify what I've said here all along -that concentricity gages(Hornady, H&H) mask runout. The reason your deviation seems to go up back on the necks is that the indicator is further from the pinned bullet nose. Further back on the body you would see even more, and further toward the bullet tip would show even less -on any ammo -with that gage.
If you measured that same ammo on a Sinclair roller/v-block type gage, you'd find that your runout is actually greater than you think.

That is a good point. I have both the sinclair and the hornady. Loaded rounds that measure .005-6 on the sinclair show up as .002-3 on the hornady. I loaded some rounds for my 308 the other night and was adjusting my fl sizer. After I loaded some up I checked the runout on both and those were my findings. I need to play with my sizing die some more. I did have the runout down to .002 on the sinclair and I trust those numbers.

people sure love to see those low numbers. if the machine design masks the run out then the low number doesn't mean anything. it just gives people what they want to see . +1 mike. it also depends on where you take your measurements. run out is always greater further down the bullet.

it also depends on where you take your measurements. run out is always greater further down the bullet.

Depends on where the cartridge is supported when you are making the measurement. Some gauges support near the head and near the tip of the bullet. In that case, measuring near the middle between them will give you the largest reading for a given amount of "crookedness". If the cartridge is supported at both ends of the body (below the shoulder) then, yes, further out on the bullet gives larger readings. Beware of trying to compare measurements from two people with different setups.

Andy

Some gauges support near the head and near the tip of the bullet. In that case, measuring near the middle between them will give you the largest reading for a given amount of "crookedness
This is true of actual 'concentricity' gages. But you might notice that they typically indicate nearest support of the bullet tip, which provides only a portion of 'crookedness'..

I fell for it too, the hornady gage is cool but not all that practical.

Buy the Sinclar or make your own with some bb's or V holders.

Better yet, you have half of what you need on the Hornady already, just add some v holders to it and reverse the concave head holder to the flat side for your end stop......I have a new mission

Scope rings almost worklightbulb....I'll find something laying around here to mount to it.

So is the Hornady even worth having or did I completely waste my money? And is it really a good idea to use it to "straighten" cartridges. It seems like when correcting the run-out with that thing you may cause more distortion in areas you aren't measuring and make your load worse even though the gauge says otherwise. Any thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.