Compressed loads & OAL

winmagman

I just started reloading some rounds for ladder testing. I am using H-1000 and RE22. The H-1000 is compressed starting at about 76 grains. The RE22 doesn't compress at all.

I can't get the H-1000 loaded rounds to the same overall length consistently from bullet to bullet. Could the powder be causing the inconsistency?

I'm using a Stoney Point comparator for measurments and am having no problem keeping + or- .001 with the RE22 loaded rounds.

I'm using 200 gr. Accubonds in a 300 win mag. and seating them so they fit in the magazine. Overall length is 2.780 (after zeroing off the face of the comparator). The H-1000 rounds are + or - .004. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Yes, the powder is trying to expand and pushing the bullet at different rates. You can solve this by increasing neck tension or just use another powder like the Re22.

I don't like compressing powder because the kernels break which changes the burn rate. Can lead to erratic vel and flyers. I would switch to a shorter kernel powder or something faster so I use less.

Jerry

Like Jerry said, the powder is most likely pushing the bullet back out a bit on some of them.

I used to load 250gr Barnes X bullets in my 338WM and with 4350 had the same problem, only much worse.

I never did use a long drop tube to cure it but this is what helped;

Tap the cases 5-10 times lightly on the bench to settle the powder some.

Seat bullets very slowly when powder starts to compress.

When bullet is just seated all the way, hold there at full stroke for two or three seconds as the powder drops some pressure on the base of the bullet. (very important)

Look for signs of bullet creeping back out of the case near the case mouth, marks will be on the bullet indicating where it had been seated up to. If it moved out, seat again and hold for a 2-3 count.

At full stroke, I usually let up after the 2-3 sec hold, rotate the case 90 degrees and seat for another 2-3 second hold.

These bullets I loaded would bulge the case body enough so they wouldn't chamber if the ram was stroked any faster than... REAL slow. They'd push the bullets out .030" - .050" or more if all steps were not taken to crush the powder very, very slowly and let it stabilize with the ram at full stroke.

A little .004" variance shouldn't be no biggie to control with one or more of these methods employed.

Neck tension, or a longer drop tube could solve it too, though I'd go with a longer tube before using higher tension.

My load was quite accurate and at great speed too, so I wasn't about to give it up easily.

A longer magazine box might be up your alley at this point too.
wink.gif

Jerry & Brent thanks for the replies. I thought that might be the problem as I could hear the powder crunching as I seated the bullet. That made me nervous as hell, kept waiting for the whole thing to go BANG.

Now that I've got them loaded I'll have to get to the range and give them a try, Maybe I can find a sweet spot a ways below the 79gr. max of the H-1000 if not maybe the RE 22 will pan out.

Either way it'll be a blast finding out. Thanks again.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.