Composite barrels?

Obsessed

Asked this question on the other forum with no response, so here goes again.
Do any of you have any experience with the composite barrels, I believe they are carbon fiber. I have heard some things about them that sound a little fishy, but just hoping to get the the real story. Thanks much!!

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Well, they add a lot of cost to a rifle, reduce the weight a couple pounds (which may not really be a good thing anyway), add another variable, and make it tough to set back the chamber later.

I had 2 of them done by Christensen Arms. One on a Sako 75 action and one a rebarrel job on an existing Tikka action. The best groups I could get were about one inch at 100 for 3 shots. Not too impressed but I'm not sure you could say that was the result of the carbon fiber wrap rather than the gunsmith's skill with those particular actions. As an example he didn't know how to even up the contact pressure on a 3-lug bolt. I ended up re-barreling with Hart barrels and both guns now are around 1/2 moa shooters or nearly so.

Mysticplayer

The carbon wrap barrels are only as good as the interior steel barrel. From what I have heard, the Christensen barrels were made with Shilen barrels. Not their match ones. So MOA or better performance is all I would expect.

They look nice but really are not any lighter or cool much faster. Designed primarily as a new widget. Claims of being stiffer leading to better accuracy has not panned out in real life. The quality of the rifled tube is all that matters.

For the money, get a Lilja, Hart or pac nor in a thinner contour. I bet these will shoot better at the same weight.

Nice toy...

Jerry

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce