Composite barrels?

Obsessed

Asked this question on the other forum with no response, so here goes again.
Do any of you have any experience with the composite barrels, I believe they are carbon fiber. I have heard some things about them that sound a little fishy, but just hoping to get the the real story. Thanks much!!

Well, they add a lot of cost to a rifle, reduce the weight a couple pounds (which may not really be a good thing anyway), add another variable, and make it tough to set back the chamber later.

I had 2 of them done by Christensen Arms. One on a Sako 75 action and one a rebarrel job on an existing Tikka action. The best groups I could get were about one inch at 100 for 3 shots. Not too impressed but I'm not sure you could say that was the result of the carbon fiber wrap rather than the gunsmith's skill with those particular actions. As an example he didn't know how to even up the contact pressure on a 3-lug bolt. I ended up re-barreling with Hart barrels and both guns now are around 1/2 moa shooters or nearly so.

The carbon wrap barrels are only as good as the interior steel barrel. From what I have heard, the Christensen barrels were made with Shilen barrels. Not their match ones. So MOA or better performance is all I would expect.

They look nice but really are not any lighter or cool much faster. Designed primarily as a new widget. Claims of being stiffer leading to better accuracy has not panned out in real life. The quality of the rifled tube is all that matters.

For the money, get a Lilja, Hart or pac nor in a thinner contour. I bet these will shoot better at the same weight.

Nice toy...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.