Component availability for new gun

LanceK

I'm getting close to ordering a new gun. I'm thinking 280ai, but not too many components available to reload for it. I have everything for 30-06 and right now, it's in a close second for cartridge choice. So if you were going to get a new gun, would you let the availability of components sway your decision?

If you have plenty rifles to do what you want then get your 280 AI if not get what you have to

Hmm, I have plenty for my current needs... Always dreaming of a mule deer or aoudad hunt, I'd need something bigger for that.

The 280 AI is one of my favorites but you can never discount the 06 it is an awesome do all round I believe components will start showing up but it will be a slow process what are you not finding for the 280 AI I may have some stuff to help you out

I am going to rebarrel my 28N to a 30N, part of what made the decision easy is that when I was at the gunsmith to discuss it (and pick up another gun they were doing work on, a 30-06 randomly enough) they had ADG brass and enough Berger 215's to last a good while. I had already bought dies at Midway when they were in stock in this shortage, figuring I could sell them for what I paid if I needed to. So I had all the components I would need.

I have a 280ai on order from Dallas Lane and I wanted to have the powder he typically uses in his 280ai's and that will match his load work up, so I opportunistically looked for, and found, several powders I didn't have. This is to replace another 280ai I have.

Having said all that, maybe you could hold off ordering for a few weeks and see what you can come across for your 280ai. Seems like a good bit of powder hit shelves about 2-3 months ago...maybe another big batch will come in (Hodgdon is usually pretty good at telling you ballpark times for when they may get some more to distribute). You could also look for bullets and brass and buy when you find some at retail or close to it, or post a 'wanted to buy' ad in the classifieds. If you couldn't find all the components before you have to decide, you could resell that stuff to get your money back if you pay MSRP, maybe you will be out shipping costs but I doubt it. And in Texas I would think powder would be easy to sell locally.

long story short...if you want to give it some time, buy components for a 280ai, resell at your cost if you have to. Worst case is you are out maybe $25 in shipping for everything, but think of it as a $25 option to have what you really want, which it sounds like is a 280ai. I've 'settled' on a gun, and by that I mean I bought what was practical (a 30-06) instead of what I wanted (280ai), and a few years later I had the itch to get what I really wanted all along (and now I have both 😄). A new rifle costs a lot more than $25.

I'm getting close to ordering a new gun. I'm thinking 280ai, but not too many components available to reload for it. I have everything for 30-06 and right now, it's in a close second for cartridge choice. So if you were going to get a new gun, would you let the availability of components sway your decision?
Nope. Get what you want components come and go.

Absolutely I would what good is having a new paper weight without components

I pick up my 280 next week. I found couple boxes of Peterson brass online a member here alerted me to. I had no problem finding bullets in stock at Sportsman's and Midway (ELD X in 150 and 162, Accubonds, and Barnes TTSX 140s). Powder might be tough if you currently don't have any. I'm hoping my supply o fH4350 will work for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.