Component action purchased; is it a rifle action or pistol?

Bob Wright

Buying a nib Savage action complete as a component assembly. Neither a rifle nor a pistol. I am building a pistol. Is it in need of a BATFE form to declare it a pistol?
For you gunsmiths dealing with this jungle of regs, what do you think?

BATFE requires that a rifle cannot be shortened to a pistol. OAL, barrel length =X, etc. If I buy a complete action that is a component assembly, no barrel, just a part, is there some kind of a declaration form from a gunsmith to the gov stating it is a rifle or pistol at final assembly? I'm getting mixed info as usual on the net.

In Michigan, you go down to the sherrif and get a private party pistol purchase permit after completing the build and list yourself as both buyer and seller, entering the serial number and other relevant information in the process.

In Michigan, you go down to the sherrif and get a private party pistol purchase permit after completing the build and list yourself as both buyer and seller, entering the serial number and other relevant information in the process.
It should be an ATF form that the county sheriff files then. (?)
It therefore should be across the country. Same process?

I know it's a Michigan state firm, but they do the standard ATF background check (for a receiver you already did a check for when you purchased originally, go figure) so I'd imagine that the associated serial number is designated a pistol in the ATF database as a result of that check.

I know it's a Michigan state firm, but they do the standard ATF background check (for a receiver you already did a check for when you purchased originally, go figure) so I'd imagine that the associated serial number is designated a pistol in the ATF database as a result of that check.
Here's the form I found. It covers components not yet either rifle or pistol:

Attachments

• 20201125_190754.jpg
    20201125_190754.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 154
Why not call the ATFE office and ask? What Jfightingfalcon is giving you is Mich State law, you are in AZ. Mich State law has nothing to do with someone in another of the 50 states. When I call in a NICS background check, the serial number of the firearm is not asked for, although it is recorded later on the 4473 by the seller. One of the final questions asked during the NICS background check is, "Type of firearm". Meaning, is this a long gun, handgun, or "other' firearm. IF this is a new receiver, that has never been a rifle OR a handgun, it can be used to build either one. IF it was a rifle when it left the Savage factory a 'variance' needs to be granted from ATFE before it can be assembled as a handgun. The NICS background check that you fill out when you buy from a dealer is a background check on YOU, not the firearm. The reason they question is ask about "Type of firearm", is the age of the buyer. As the text you referenced, you must be 21 to buy a handgun or a 'other firearm" (a receiver) because a 'other firearm' can be assembled as either a long gun or a handgun. As the legal owner of the "other firearm", technically, you have become the 'manufacturer'. That 'other firearm', turned over to a gunsmith for assembly is preforming a 'gunsmithing task', not manufacturing a firearm as he doesn't own the receiver. That is the way I understand it, but, if I was to be approached by client to build a handgun from a receiver owned by the client, I would call ATFE and ASK!

New, bare receivers- already serialized- would be transferred as such ("receiver") from Savage to the distributor; not as a "rifle" nor as a "pistol". No different than MSR lowers that have never been built into a functioning firearm.
There is no "form" for this. If it is ever built as a rifle, it must always remain a rifle (pistols can be converted to rifles, however).

When I buy such a receiver, it's logged in as a "receiver", then when completed, logged out as a "rifle" (could be as a pistol, though) to the customer.
Additionally, because I was the one that built the bare receiver into a rifle and "distributed into commerce"- I would report it as a manufactured firearm on my AMFER.

So, Arizona has no registration schemes that I am aware of, we only use Fed forms when getting a background check.
I'll call Savage and BATF Monday and see if this is recorded appropriately for my needs.

New, bare receivers- already serialized- would be transferred as such ("receiver") from Savage to the distributor; not as a "rifle" nor as a "pistol". No different than MSR lowers that have never been built into a functioning firearm.
There is no "form" for this. If it is ever built as a rifle, it must always remain a rifle (pistols can be converted to rifles, however).

When I buy such a receiver, it's logged in as a "receiver", then when completed, logged out as a "rifle" (could be as a pistol, though) to the customer.
Additionally, because I was the one that built the bare receiver into a rifle and "distributed into commerce"- I would report it as a manufactured firearm on my AMFER.
So is AMFER a fed log book you must keep or a form copy you send in to the BATF?

So is AMFER a fed log book you must keep or a form copy you send in to the BATF?
From what I have experienced if you ask three different atf agents the same question you will either get three different answers or the same answer I dont know we will get back to you and thats the end of it Good luck and let us know what you find out

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.