Component action purchased; is it a rifle action or pistol?

If the previous owner remembers it as "pistol" in the "type" (box #4),
Can I have the FFL shop correct it to "receiver", or will that blow BATFE's mind?
(The form I downloaded shows box 4 for that now).
Edit:
I see in Section C, another entry for "other".
Why do you care what the receiving FFL logged it in as? If you are that concerned keep your receipt showing it was just a receiver when you bought it. Unless your state has special requirements it doesn't matter. Plus, I doubt that FFL is going to expend any effort going through their A&D logs to change what it was, chances are they won't recall all the details from when they received it nor will they care. And yes, I am an FFL and no I would not change my records if a customer called me with a similar situation. But, I also know how to log things in and out and am diligent to do it properly.

Why do you care what the receiving FFL logged it in as? If you are that concerned keep your receipt showing it was just a receiver when you bought it. Unless your state has special requirements it doesn't matter. Plus, I doubt that FFL is going to expend any effort going through their A&D logs to change what it was, chances are they won't recall all the details from when they received it nor will they care. And yes, I am an FFL and no I would not change my records if a customer called me with a similar situation. But, I also know how to log things in and out and am diligent to do it properly.
It's a transfer, not a purchase.
If someone carelessly put "rifle", it cannot be used as a pistol as intended.
I would rather correct the previous error of it listed as "pistol". It is a receiver.
Doesn't hurt to ask questions right?

I would rather correct the previous error of it listed as "pistol". It is a receiver.
No it doesn't hurt, I'm not trying to be a smart alec
No, questions are good and I'm not trying to be a smart aleck. I just think that you don't need to worry about it. You bought a receiver and you can build what you want with it. The FFL making a mistake has no bearing on what you can build, at least from my experience.

If the previous owner remembers it as "pistol" in the "type" (box #4),
Can I have the FFL shop correct it to "receiver", or will that blow BATFE's mind?
I think, you're "overthinking" this...
No idea what you mean re: the comment about the previous owner.

But rather than dig deeper into this, you just said you're purchasing from an individual, NOT a Dealer.
FTF sales are allowed in AZ (as they are here, in FL).

Why in the world are you even messing with a transfer and fees through an FFL??

Just meet the seller in a Wally World parking lot, do the transaction, and save yourself the aggravation??

I think, you're "overthinking" this...
No idea what you mean re: the comment about the previous owner.

But rather than dig deeper into this, you just said you're purchasing from an individual, NOT a Dealer.
FTF sales are allowed in AZ (as they are here, in FL).

Why in the world are you even messing with a transfer and fees through an FFL??

Just meet the seller in a Wally World parking lot, do the transaction, and save yourself the aggravation??
He lives 1000 miles away. Otherwise, I agree. I would have drove to his meeting spot and nothing would be an issue.
I could just order 1 from Savage, but this one was available now.
In this hyper anti gun climate we're in, I want no trouble with an incoming hostile administration.

Ahh, OK- Sorry, figured it was local.
Don't know what kind of deal you got, but FYI, Northland Shooters has Model 11's for $350, and Model 10's for $495.

So that you're clear, BATFE has no records of the previous/original transfer- so there is nothing to "correct".
When a 4473 background check is done (here, they're done through Fl. Dept. Law Enforcement) there is no specific information regarding the firearm that is submitted. Just your information- and the type of firearm(s) being transferred. All of the info, including the S/N is on the form 4473, but that is retained by the Dealer. No other government agency, State, Local, or Federal- has a copy of it.

And that's the way we want it to stay.

Ahh, OK- Sorry, figured it was local.
Don't know what kind of deal you got, but FYI, Northland Shooters has Model 11's for $350, and Model 10's for $495.

So that you're clear, BATFE has no records of the previous/original transfer- so there is nothing to "correct".
When a 4473 background check is done (here, they're done through Fl. Dept. Law Enforcement) there is no specific information regarding the firearm that is submitted. Just your information- and the type of firearm(s) being transferred. All of the info, including the S/N is on the form 4473, but that is retained by the Dealer. No other government agency, State, Local, or Federal- has a copy of it.

And that's the way we want it to stay.
Agree. Ours are only done thru retailers authorized under their FFL. No state involvement.
I'll look at the retailer you mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.