Completely off topic

curiousaussie

Sorry fella's,

The moderator's can bin this thread or move it if needed.

Just out of curiousity does anyone here from the Rockies have an opinion about Big Sky ski resort?

Have been wanting to ski the US for a few years now and heard good things about Big Sky. Apparently it's a well kept secret in the ski world.

Anyhow if it's too off topic I'll stick to the shooting in future.

Cheers,

Matt

Its pretty nice, but I would recommend either Moonlight basin (essential the other side of Big Sky), or Bridger Bowl just north of Bozeman. Depends on your skill level, if you want lots of greens, blues, and some nice chutes and powder then Big Sky is the place, as long as you don't mind the crowds. Moonlight has a high percentage of long advanced runs, with a nice bowl at the top, and cheap tickets. Bridger is my favorite because of the "ridge." The entire top half of the mountain is lift served ungroomed chutes and bowls, you do need an avalanche transceiver to ride the lift though.

So its pretty much:

Big Sky- Lots of people, lots of terrain and runs (way too much to do in a couple days) If your into resorts and stuff, its the only one that really has that.

Moonlight- Well it has an awesome 6 person high speed chairlift and lots of blue and black runs, quite a few over a mile long. Lot less people, and as mentioned earlier, ~$50 tickets.

Bridger- Best snow of all of them, steepest terrain, fewest people, and lots of advanced terrain. Also, cheapest of the bunch.

You can also get a pass that allows you to ski both Big Sky and Moonlight on one ticket. But its like $90 a day, and either one has enough terrain to keep anyone happy for a day.

Kirby

Ptex?

Thanks for the info fella's.

3 kids 13yo boy, 11 yo boy, and 8yo girl. All advanced skiers for their age. I'm weak to medium advanced.

Lots of blues and a few blacks sounds good.

Probably not up to avalanche prone areas, as we have absolutely no experience with that type of snow conditions in Australia.

Cheers,

Matt

Ptex?

Thanks for the info fella's.

3 kids 13yo boy, 11 yo boy, and 8yo girl. All advanced skiers for their age. I'm weak to medium advanced.

Lots of blues and a few blacks sounds good.

Probably not up to avalanche prone areas, as we have absolutely no experience with that type of snow conditions in Australia.

Cheers,

Matt

Australia? Snow? next your going tell me they have a Olympic ski team :D Of course i don't have much room to talk as we ski on "ice" back east in the states compared to the west and there powder.

Gene

Yeah, ptex.
It's the stuff they use to repair the bottom of your ski's. You may ask yourself, "My ski's don't need repaired."
Not yet, but Big Sky will take care of that....................

Randy

mtnwrunner,

Ptex - got it.

In Australia we have more rocks than snow, so base and edge repairs are frequent here.

Winter Olympics we get the occasional gold medal - mainly the girls in aerial freestyle and Torah Bright got one in snowboard.

The blokes have a bit of a go in moguls, and Steven Bradbury won a gold in a skating event a few years ago when the rest of the field fell over in front of him.

Not too bad for a desert continent.

Cheers,

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.