compass use

Learned pre Internet, pre GPS with Topos and Bruntons. Geologist.
Used to carry a protractor in the '80s but I can lock the needle and use the graduations on the compass. I don't do intersections with precise coordinates and yet have met up with other parties at agreed locations in the Jefferson, Mt. Hood and Goat Rocks Wilderness areas.
I've had GPS fail on me 2x (units died), and batteries fail more than once. The early 2K units used to suck at acquiring satellites. I still carry GPS to place pins in places of interest, but the only time I'll use the GPS is in deep forest in conjunction with a compass.
Topos don't show you things like narrow canyons, cliffs, or impassable boulder fields. Neither does GPS.....

I find that using a map and compass is faster than following a GPS. It's good to find your location on a map with GPS but then when you need to get somewhere you just set your bearing, find your marker in the distance (usually a mountain here) and head off towards it. The occasional re-check of a location on your GPS map helps to keep you in the know but moving with a GPS can get finnicky.

I have posted earlier on having the "Old School" Topo Maps and Compass. This is 2021 almost 2022. If I get the chance to hunt in another country or really out of the way population Areas I will definitely take a Personal Locator Beacon "PLB". I wrote a post a week or so about "PLB" and the importance of having one.
I will always carry a "Compass and Map" in areas where I am new to or not. You can get turned around
I do have to say the the all the new technology that is available to us-USE these systems. Not only can you see where you are at, but you can see where your partners as well. It is just a miracle of what is done with technology. DON'T discard it! Use it to you advantage. Sure there are instances where storms/environmental conditions my hinder the GPS, but far less than often. Sure keep a "BACKUP". These days this technology is AWESOME.
I had marked some of my Tree stands and also Buck Scrapes over (10) years ago on my Garmin "ETREX". Had dozens if not hundreds of "Way Points" Marked. I transferred these "Way Points" that I saved on my laptop to my newer Garmin GPS I went to the area last week and found my "Tree Stands" and also several "Scrapes" that were still active.
Keep the "Old School"
BUT EMBRACE NEW TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!!
It will only be to your advantage in hunting, scouting and for your SAFETY!

Attachments

• Garmin ETREX and USMC Compass.jpg
    Garmin ETREX and USMC Compass.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 186
I have posted earlier on having the "Old School" Topo Maps and Compass. This is 2021 almost 2022. If I get the chance to hunt in another country or really out of the way population Areas I will definitely take a Personal Locator Beacon "PLB". I wrote a post a week or so about "PLB" and the importance of having one.
I will always carry a "Compass and Map" in areas where I am new to or not. You can get turned around
I do have to say the the all the new technology that is available to us-USE these systems. Not only can you see where you are at, but you can see where your partners as well. It is just a miracle of what is done with technology. DON'T discard it! Use it to you advantage. Sure there are instances where storms/environmental conditions my hinder the GPS, but far less than often. Sure keep a "BACKUP". These days this technology is AWESOME.
I had marked some of my Tree stands and also Buck Scrapes over (10) years ago on my Garmin "ETREX". Had dozens if not hundreds of "Way Points" Marked. I transferred these "Way Points" that I saved on my laptop to my newer Garmin GPS I went to the area last week and found my "Tree Stands" and also several "Scrapes" that were still active.
Keep the "Old School"
BUT EMBRACE NEW TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!!
It will only be to your advantage in hunting, scouting and for your SAFETY!

I've been looking at the Garmen Etrex with a beacon. Good piece of kit for sure. I find myself using the OnX Hunt App quite a bit now days too. Worth the fee for many reasons.

I've been looking at the Garmen Etrex with a beacon. Good piece of kit for sure. I find myself using the OnX Hunt App quite a bit now days too. Worth the fee for many reasons.
I use the Garmin inreach Explorer +. It's nice having the security blanket of the SOS function, but also being able to text people that I need a ride incase my truck breaks down deep in the bush which is more likely than a catastrophic medical emergency.

Looks like Garmin is discontinuing the InReach line and is bundling those functions into some of their GPS units. That's sad, I don't need another GPS. I need a "come get me, I'm screwed" way of contacting my friends or if bad enough the local SAR.

Looks like Garmin is discontinuing the InReach line and is bundling those functions into some of their GPS units. That's sad, I don't need another GPS. I need a "come get me, I'm screwed" way of contacting my friends or if bad enough the local SAR.
Have you looked into zoleo?

New to western hunting... new to a compass and a paper map. But I know how to use GPS on my phone. Having said that, on my upcoming trip my plan is to rely on the compass and map and use the GPS as the backup. That way I don't need to worry about the battery so much. *Plus* the view of the big map is easier than the small screen.

I've used a Silva Ranger compass and a topo map to find my location by finding at least two known prominent features (usually a mountain or river gorge). Shoot an azimuth at two or more identified points on the map and draw a line at that azimuth, such as 240, 18, and 80 degrees, from those points. Where the lines intersect is your location. Obviously, if you're tagging an elk in a deep drainage this won't work. Do it when you're at a high point in the area you are hunting and use this location as a base point and track your movement periodically on the map.

Recent Posts