compass use

26Reload

Haven't you all heard....there are mini polarized places popping up and true north an south have changed positions...not entirely....but soon....
Was at Mt Hood hunting....walked less than .25 from truck....pushed button to reverse course...gps said go this way.....exactly....the wrong way.....would have been a hell of a hike going that way in the dark.......

yobuck

Just curious why you would like that on a map? You have two azimuths covered with true north lines (360 and 180). UTM northing lines aren't true but close to 90/270 (if your map has them; many older USGS quads don't).

A compass rose on a nautical chart or plotting sheet is to, for example, derive a course's bearing with the use of parallel rulers. Or to plot celestial navigation dead reckoning and fixes.
Well what would be the objection for being able to do that?
One could just scribe a line on the map from point A to point B then transfer the line to the compass rose and BINGO we have our coarse.
AND by adding 180 deg, we also have our coarse back to the truck.
AND we dont have to allow for the wind and current to take us off coarse like mariners do.
AND i guess thats why i think it would be a good idea. lol

7magcreedmoor

Well what would be the objection for being able to do that?
One could just scribe a line on the map from point A to point B then transfer the line to the compass rose and BINGO we have our coarse.
AND by adding 180 deg, we also have our coarse back to the truck.
AND we dont have to allow for the wind and current to take us off coarse like mariners do.
AND i guess thats why i think it would be a good idea. lol
That's what the rotating baseplate is for on a ranger style compass.

dfanonymous

The ranger style compass is just a cammenga compass. Everyone in any branch you needs to do landnav uses this compass. This compass is used for specifically with the map ratios that work with the GRGS maps that are issued. It’s similar to USGS but not quite. We use grid north and convert to magnetic north and plot points with a particular protractor if the points are issued for training or if using a GPS, I usually had the points backed up on paper if it was important. Any good compass you should be able to set a reverse azimuth.

I really think it depends if people think a compass is important, 9/10 times I can get buy just using 2 and 3 point resection with terrain association. However, I agree that terrain is different per location and places such as Colorado always has the potential to be gnarly. I’ve gotten of the beaten path quite away and had to follow a water creek path down hill to get to familiar area to nav back to the truck in the Rockies.

mod 700

Like a lot of you, I always got a compass, or 2, some years back, had a bad read on my GPS almost got me mauled. I was in a new area, with tall timber, no visible land marks, marked the truck with the GPS, and off I go bow hunting. Made a big loop, taking a look at my compass as I went, keeping a idea of where the truck was. I came up on a old 2 track on the way back, my gut said truck was to the south, GPS said north, so I go north. As I slipped along the road, I kicked up 2 cubs off to my left, I start backing out, and here comes the sow from upwind, full charge, she turned at about 12-15 feet, to this day the most adrenaline charged moment of my life. The truck was to the south.
Mike

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce