compass use

I think the serious answer you're looking for is, it has fallen out of favor for easier, faster, and Nintendo. An absolute vital skill to learn and know, but rarely used en masse these days. Much like the standard transmission automobile.

Yup. I learned from scouts but really got a good handle on it from being a Surveyor for ~10 years. Most guys I know don't even have a compass let alone know how to use one. I also use the stars but that's even more old school. (And not effective on cloudy nights etc)

Oh and when people see my truck is a manual they freak. (It's a 2013 ram 2500 HD) word on the street is it's the millennial car theft deterrent... even better than "the club" lol

i always carry one even right now in the house. Most of time used to keep me going in a straight line. Where I hunt in Maine my truck is parked on a road and as long as I go in the right direction I will hit the road somewhere and be OK.

Just wondering how many folks still use a compass along with shooting azimuths. It seems to be a dying or near dead art. What precipitates the ponderance, I use a compass as part of my normal work in conjunction with a GPS and have found that recent grad students haven't a clue how to use one.
Yes I carry a map and compass everywhere I go. 2 times a map and compass has gotten me back to camp or the truck when a expensive gps couldn't. Great thread.

I have never been in a place where you could get all that far from a road. When I was coon hunting with dogs, I would use a gps to mark the location of the truck, or if I found a good place to cross a creek I would mark that. I kept one of those ball type compass pinned to my shirt and I kept an eye on it so I would know the general direction back to the truck. I would love to be in a place so open you needed a map and compass to find your way.

I still keep a map and compass handy and use it often in the Mountians where garmin doesnt get a very good signal. Back in 2006 my fire team set a land nav record at Camp Swift. I cant move as quickly as I did back then but I cant still find my way around.

gps, topo maps, compass always on my person when ever i leave the truck for scouting, hunting, camping, fishing, etc

learned in scouts but it was beat home in underwater orienteering training --talk about dis-orienting, 4-6" of visibility underwater in the dark --fun times
Sounds like miniseason lobster diving in Florida we're off shore a mile or two anywhere from 30 to 60 feet of water and a 12:01am we were over the side

I carry one.Ive been in big wilderness areas no roads for 20 + miles.One day I was walking down mtn chasing elk with the bugle.I cut threw this saddle and was in dark timber,for some time.Was 1/2 way threw day so time to head back,turned and after couple hours popped out where I could see mountains.Didnt recognize a thing,some how cut threw saddle to other side .Then when I thought I turned I sidehilled down drainge in wrong direction because I was on wrong side of mtn.Done this more than once in cloudy foggy days.Once I ended 20 + from camp and had to roll with it.Many times thought my GPS was lieing to me.

I carry at least two GPS (if you count my phone....including off-grid maps for Gaia or OnX--have both), compass, UTM template and USGS topo map for where I am. Always. I try to stay oriented at all times. Once, I was elk scouting with a Vietnam-era artillery officer, and, to annoy him, I said "Where are we?" He stopped smiling, grabbed the map, looked around 360 (focusing on a couple peaks) and pointed to a spot on a map. The ol' turd nailed it.

I always carry a couple compasses in my pack and a GPS but I do not trust them with my life.
My first contact with a compass was in the Boy Scouts. My scout master was a WW II Marine scout.
In the Army I went through the basic compass class and an advanced class, For a special job..
When in strange country I like to at least use Base Line Navigation. Pick out a creek, road, power line, rail road tracks to have a line to navigate back to, In bad weather or dark.

When hunting in the West I like to carry an altimeter to. When I hunted Colorado 1 time, Before GPS's, Our camp was in a little grassy park at 9800 feet. Got caught in a 30" snow storm, The mountains disappeared. Left camp traveling West. That evening I headed East and held the 9800 Ft. elevation. Out of the storm I could see something taller than me that was dark. A few more steps I could see it was the blue tarp our outhouse was covered with. The white tents was not visible. But it was a good feeling to know I was in 30 ft. of shelter, food and my dry bed.

For 15 years as I worked the Appalachian Mountains of Eastern West Virginia.
On Red Oak Mountain my bird dog and I had chased singles grouse and when I filled my limit, I headed up the hill to get to the road I had drove in on. I got on the ridge top and no road. I pulled out my compass and told Freckles we have to go SE to find the road. I went down the hill wondering what am I into. About 150 feet the land leveled then I started climbing again, Soon I seen an open sky line and there I was at the road. I had been on a spur ridge with a low gap separating it from the main ridge between Williams and Cranberry Rivers.

About 2 years later one night the local fire chief called me, And advised we had a lost hunter in Red Oak area. He wanted me to drop every thing and meet him at the fire tower. I told him I would be there in about 45 minutes, My dinner was on the table. My rule was, Look after No. 1 first. Me fed, Dry boots, clean socks, food and strong tea to last all night in my back pack. I ate, Got my gear and headed up into the area. Just about where Freckles and I had came into the road from our experience on Red Oak, A hunter was walking the road toward the fire tower. I stopped rolled the window down. The hunter said, "What is all the vehicles coming in here for". I named the hunter and advised the hunter was lost and this is the Search Crew. He said, "Well That Is Me". I asked if his gun was loaded, And told him grab him a gun case out of the back seat, Case your gun, I will take you to your vehicle.
I pulled in at the fire tower gate and here came the Fire Chief, " You finally made it". I said, "Yes, and I introduced him to the lost hunter". You should have seen the look on the Chiefs face.

Many of the searches I was involved in, Was a person without a compass. Caught in fog or snow in a storm and missed a ridge or went through a low gap and was in a different river drainage.

Wonder why they dont put a compass rose on those maps like marine charts have?
Just curious why you would like that on a map? You have two azimuths covered with true north lines (360 and 180). UTM northing lines aren't true but close to 90/270 (if your map has them; many older USGS quads don't).

A compass rose on a nautical chart or plotting sheet is to, for example, derive a course's bearing with the use of parallel rulers. Or to plot celestial navigation dead reckoning and fixes.