Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Excellent thread....it has been very informative and helpful. It was mentioned early in this thread by Broz that his 300 WM was "match" chambered. My 300 WM is a custom rifle as well but not knowing any better I had it chambered to SAAMI specs. How are the match specs different from SAAMI? I have settled on a load (77.7 H1000) with a bullet (215 Hybrid) jump of .050". I have not tested them yet at distance but at 200 yards they were shooting .17-.19 MOA groups. However, the bullets are seated so long that they will not fit in my magazine and thus force me to shot single shot. I am considering building another rifle very similar to Broz's and was wondering if I went with the "match" chambering if that would afford me the ability to load my magazine?
I know this is a little off the subject so if someone wants to PM me that is fine. Thanks, Brett

Excellent thread....it has been very informative and helpful. It was mentioned early in this thread by Broz that his 300 WM was "match" chambered. My 300 WM is a custom rifle as well but not knowing any better I had it chambered to SAAMI specs. How are the match specs different from SAAMI? I have settled on a load (77.7 H1000) with a bullet (215 Hybrid) jump of .050". I have not tested them yet at distance but at 200 yards they were shooting .17-.19 MOA groups. However, the bullets are seated so long that they will not fit in my magazine and thus force me to shot single shot. I am considering building another rifle very similar to Broz's and was wondering if I went with the "match" chambering if that would afford me the ability to load my magazine?
I know this is a little off the subject so if someone wants to PM me that is fine. Thanks, Brett
Brett:
How your rifle is chambered is completely up to you. Like you, I am not sure what 'match chambered' means. What I do know is that whenever I have dealt with a reputable gunsmith, I have discussed my accuracy desires/requirements and its functionality. For instance, I built a 7saum (short action cartridge) on a long action. I told the gunsmith that because it is a short action cartridge in a long-action, was going to be seating the 180grain hybrids out as far as possible (for maximum powder capacity) and that based on that length, to set up the throat for a .005 'jump'.

You can likewise do the same. Tell the gunsmith exactly what you want, hear their recommendations and formulate your plan/build.

Trebark I hear what you are saying but since I'm shooting a long action cartridge to begin with I don't have much options it appears to me. I'm looking for extreme accuracy in a hunting rifle and would like to avoid having to single load every round. Was just wondering if by "match" chambering will that afford me the ability to seat the bullets deeper but still have the same jump.

Trebark I hear what you are saying but since I'm shooting a long action cartridge to begin with I don't have much options it appears to me. I'm looking for extreme accuracy in a hunting rifle and would like to avoid having to single load every round. Was just wondering if by "match" chambering will that afford me the ability to seat the bullets deeper but still have the same jump.
Brett - my point is that you can spec out a rifle build however you want. In your case, you would say to a gunsmith, "I want a 300wm shooting the 215hybrid at mag length with .005 jump." Then he would build it. The compromise you would have to deal with is the slight loss of velocity because of lost case capacity due to seating the bullet deeper in the case.

You could even do it now with the rifle you have. Just load to mag length, which would give you a pretty big 'jump.' But if it will shoot accurately, you'd be in business.

Many people have a Wyatt's mag box extender. In my 700, I can get ~3.85" COAL.

Extreme long range accuracy and not slamming precision made ammunition around in a mag box kinda go hand in hand, that said his chamber is "match" which implies it's the chamber reamer was ground to match the brass loaded with the bullet he wants to use at it's best position for accuracy. I know how Broz gun was specifically and in a Rem you will need a Wyatts mag box installed to run it from a mag and the throat was cut tight and specific to a bullet. If you want to deviate and have a shorter coal you can have a reamer made by sending in a dummy round and having a reamer made for that specific application or sent it to a smith who will chamber with a no throat reamer then in a separate process throat it to the spec need for the dummy round.

Brett,

Before you spend more money why not seat the 215s to fit and feed from your magazine and try them? Those 215s are hybrids and in my experience they will perform at all sorts of distances from lands. Heck I once seated some 230 hybrids in a friend's Browning A-bolt 300 WSM with the bullet absolutely buried in the case to fit his 2.8" magazine. Jump to lands was well over .200" and it shot bugholes. velocity wasn't bad either @ 2735 fps.

AZShooter....I have tested for seating depth as per Berger's recommended method and I definitely saw a noticeable variance in group size........from about .5 to .17 MOA with a .010 to .050 jump, respectively. So as far as my setup, seating depth is important if I want to get the most out of the 215's from my rifle.
I appreciate the comments and guess I just need to talk to someone at Bartlein barrels to see if they can do what I'm wanting to do since I do not have a gunsmith around where I am that I would trust.

AZShooter....I have tested for seating depth as per Berger's recommended method and I definitely saw a noticeable variance in group size........from about .5 to .17 MOA with a .010 to .050 jump, respectively. So as far as my setup, seating depth is important if I want to get the most out of the 215's from my rifle.
I appreciate the comments and guess I just need to talk to someone at Bartlein barrels to see if they can do what I'm wanting to do since I do not have a gunsmith around where I am that I would trust.

What kind of action are you running currently? I would explore the wyatt's box idea for your current action if that is something that can be done? You already have a shooter, you just need to modify the magazine box to fit the OAL. If you have a Remington clone, that should be an easy fix.

Buxndiverdux....my current set up is a Deviant Tactical action with Bartlein MTU #7 contour barrel (SAAMI spec). I'm using a Badger Ordnance DBM with an AI magazine. My rifle is very heavy and is not conducive to carrying it around. I purposely made it like that to set out on my front porch and shoot hogs. It was my first build. Now I would like to build one like Broz's that is a bit more portable and functional. That's why I'm trying to get a better understanding of what the "match" chambering does for you. And...is it possible to build one which has the accuracy of my current setup that can shoot a shorter OAL cartridge loaded with the 215's that will fit in an AI magazine?

Buxndiverdux....my current set up is a Deviant Tactical action with Bartlein MTU #7 contour barrel (SAAMI spec). I'm using a Badger Ordnance DBM with an AI magazine. My rifle is very heavy and is not conducive to carrying it around. I purposely made it like that to set out on my front porch and shoot hogs. It was my first build. Now I would like to build one like Broz's that is a bit more portable and functional. That's why I'm trying to get a better understanding of what the "match" chambering does for you. And...is it possible to build one which has the accuracy of my current setup that can shoot a shorter OAL cartridge loaded with the 215's that will fit in an AI magazine?

Ah. 10-4. He uses a custom reamer throated for the 215 Berger. It is commonly called the "Ryan Matha reamer". It just gives you extra freebore to seat the bullet out to the boatail case neck junction to maximize case capacity. The Wyatt's box gives you room for the longer oal. I'm sure you can google it and go from there. That is what I did. Defiance Deviant Hunter with Wyatt's box and Oberndorf bottom metal.

Ah. 10-4. He uses a custom reamer throated for the 215 Berger. It is commonly called the "Ryan Matha reamer". It just gives you extra freebore to seat the bullet out to the boatail case neck junction to maximize case capacity. The Wyatt's box gives you room for the longer oal. I'm sure you can google it and go from there. That is what I did. Defiance Deviant Hunter with Wyatt's box and Oberndorf bottom metal.
Its Rhian Mantha on the reamer name, AKA bigngeen.

Brett:
How your rifle is chambered is completely up to you. Like you, I am not sure what 'match chambered' means. What I do know is that whenever I have dealt with a reputable gunsmith, I have discussed my accuracy desires/requirements and its functionality. For instance, I built a 7saum (short action cartridge) on a long action. I told the gunsmith that because it is a short action cartridge in a long-action, was going to be seating the 180grain hybrids out as far as possible (for maximum powder capacity) and that based on that length, to set up the throat for a .005 'jump'.

You can likewise do the same. Tell the gunsmith exactly what you want, hear their recommendations and formulate your plan/build.

you can use a body die and the competition shell plates to size your brass to the chamber (Broz's video is the best example) I've done this with almost every gun I can lowers your es a lot and more consistent 210's out of my 30-378 had an es of 7 and my 6.5 with 140 elite hunter has an Es of 5. Finding the load/ bullet for your gun is just as important as how it is chambered people do this with factory chambers and shoot extent.