Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Jeff, I think you'll find that you can run the 215 not only as fast as you did the 210 but possibly faster with the same pressures. I discovered this in my RUM. I believe it's a combination between a gentler hybrid nose angle entering the rifling and most of all the difference in bearing surfaces between the 210VLD and the 215 Hybrid.
Berger's tech data states that the bearing surfaces are as follows:

210 VLD .540"
215 Hybrid .419"

I will be working up a load for a friend this weekend in a 26" 300 Winchester Mag with the 215's. We will be trying H1000 and possibly Retumbo. Data shows we should be in the 2800fps neighborhood. I'll let you know what we come up with:)

Just looking at the two with my non scientific eye, the hybrid has less bearing surface due to it's longer boat tail. It will be interesting to see for sure how they do in the 300 Win. I absolutely love the 230's in about everything I've shot them in. These ought to be wicked medicine too.

Just looking at the two with my non scientific eye, the hybrid has less bearing surface due to it's longer boat tail. It will be interesting to see for sure how they do in the 300 Win. I absolutely love the 230's in about everything I've shot them in. These ought to be wicked medicine too.

Brentc, yes they are wicked, long, sexy bullets. With .005" jump they wont fit in my extended mag on my RUM but I don't care. I too almost went the 230 target route but discovered at the velocities I could run the 230 compared to what the 215's run in my rifle, the 215's outperform the 230's in all categories at long range. Have a lot less drop with slightly more energy and velocity at 1K. The shorter bearing surface is a nice little plus to get that extra velocity too!

, the 215's outperform the 230's in all categories at long range. Have a lot less drop with slightly more energy and velocity at 1K. !

Well thats what I want to prove to myself with side by side comparisons. And a wind drift test too.

Time will tell , but it still remains to be seen at my house..:)

Jeff

Might be a different story with the 230 Match instead of the 230 OTM? I don't doubt the 215's will shine at 1000 but the 230's will reverse it at 1500.....Rich

Might be a different story with the 230 Match instead of the 230 OTM? I don't doubt the 215's will shine at 1000 but the 230's will reverse it at 1500.....Rich

You could be right Rich, I have not run the numbers and compared that far out. I was looking to extend my range to 1200 yards on elk and I feel the 215 at 3140fps will certainly do the job. Over 1200 on elk I'll be looking to an Edge with 300 OTM's:D

Well thats what I want to prove to myself with side by side comparisons. And a wind drift test too.

Time will tell , but it still remains to be seen at my house..:)

Jeff

Sometimes seeing is believing, I can appreciate that Jeff! Have you started load development yet with the 300 Win and 215's?

You could be right Rich, I have not run the numbers and compared that far out. I was looking to extend my range to 1200 yards on elk and I feel the 215 at 3140fps will certainly do the job. Over 1200 on elk I'll be looking to an Edge with 300 OTM's:D

Another part of the equation is "at what velocity will a Berger expand"? This might again give the edge to the 215; or maybe the 230 OTM? Lots to consider:D...Rich

Another part of the equation is "at what velocity will a Berger expand"? This might again give the edge to the 215; or maybe the 230 OTM? Lots to consider:D...Rich

The 230 have all expanded very well for us on game. The fartherst was a mule deer buck at 893 yds. from a 300 win.

Jeff

I can believe that with the wider meplat. I saw some of the pics!......Rich

Noticed Berger lists the 230 OTM as having a .062" metplant and the 215 as actually having a .070" metplant. As well as the 230 OTM has worked for Jeff and his son I'm sure the 215 running a little faster and a slighlty larger metplant should open up well on game:)

Noticed Berger lists the 230 OTM as having a .062" metplant and the 215 as actually having a .070" metplant. As well as the 230 OTM has worked for Jeff and his son I'm sure the 215 running a little faster and a slighlty larger metplant should open up well on game:)

Sounds good to me! I was referring to a wider meplat than the old vld's and wasn't aware of the meplat diameter of the 215's. This will also make them more explosive up close......Rich

HavE you guys found that the 230's will open up better on game than the 210's? I'm developing a load for the 210 right now but am thinking about switching to the 215 or 230 on my 300 win mag.