Comparing Rangefinding scopes

bcraig

Hi,I am new here and would like to know if anyone has compared the rangefinding riflescopes ?
I have read a little about the Burris Eliminator but nothing about the Bushnell or Nikon scopes.
Technical specs are fine but would really like in the field hands on experience with them.
Thanks
Craig

Hi,I am new here and would like to know if anyone has compared the rangefinding riflescopes ?
I have read a little about the Burris Eliminator but nothing about the Bushnell or Nikon scopes.
Technical specs are fine but would really like in the field hands on experience with them.
Thanks
Craig

The only one that I've use in the field is the eliminator. I shot the III recently and I was putting consistent hits on steel out to 700 with a tikka tactical in .223.

I have been curious about these as well. The best one I personally have seen was the Swaro LRS, LRF, LPS, or something like that. I cant remember for sure. It was awesome. Zeiss now makes one and I looked through it and amazing is the only way to describe the scope and it's price.

Right now i am trying to sort out if the Eliminator II will suffice instead of the Eliminator III because of price.
thanks
Craig

Right now i am trying to sort out if the Eliminator II will suffice instead of the Eliminator III because of price.
thanks
Craig

Nothing wrong with the II. A little shorter range capability and no windage holds is what you're giving up. The 4-12 with the X-98 works on any magnification which is a plus in my opinion.

Pretty good deals here:
Eliminator Rifle Scopes

Thanks for the information guys and keep it coming !
Thanks
Craig

IMHO, if you are wanting to shoot long range you should be capable of several things:

1) reloading -- seldom can factory rounds delivery the precise accurary that long range shooting demands

2) brains -- there is more than just trajectory to precise long distance shooting. Wind, angle, temp and pressure play a role.

3) brains-- NONE of the current scopes, rangefinders, binos, etc that attempt to do bullet compensation allow for complete date entry of the bullet, its BC, MV, etc. They rely on proscribed tranjectories. They lack the computing power to actually take the aformentioned data elements and transcrible them into REAL predictions.

4) money -- a very good rangefinder, will give you the angle, distance, pressure etc. You need to add -- guess what -- brains to memorize tables and figures to interpret those numbers.

Sorry to sound negative.... I've recently worked with several products that attempt to predict hold over or correction. You cannot just plug in distance and get an answer.

Until the scopes, rangefinders and binos that say they can correct for distance etc actually allow entry of ALL the meaningfull data, then I say avoid them.

I don't want one to do all the work for me. I want one so that I know how far something is exactly before I shoot. I know my weapon and how to shoot it out to 500 pretty easy. What I have a hard time with is saying that bull is at 550 or 700? WHere I hunt, I very seldom have time to get out a rangefinder then set up for a shot. This way I can aim and range at the same time. If it comes back too far out and I need to regroup then it keeps me from taking a shot that I might have before.

IMHO, if you are wanting to shoot long range you should be capable of several things:

1) reloading -- seldom can factory rounds delivery the precise accurary that long range shooting demands

2) brains -- there is more than just trajectory to precise long distance shooting. Wind, angle, temp and pressure play a role.

3) brains-- NONE of the current scopes, rangefinders, binos, etc that attempt to do bullet compensation allow for complete date entry of the bullet, its BC, MV, etc. They rely on proscribed tranjectories. They lack the computing power to actually take the aformentioned data elements and transcrible them into REAL predictions.

4) money -- a very good rangefinder, will give you the angle, distance, pressure etc. You need to add -- guess what -- brains to memorize tables and figures to interpret those numbers.

Sorry to sound negative.... I've recently worked with several products that attempt to predict hold over or correction. You cannot just plug in distance and get an answer.

Until the scopes, rangefinders and binos that say they can correct for distance etc actually allow entry of ALL the meaningfull data, then I say avoid them.

Thank you for your input.
1)Reloading-I have reloaded for over 40 years just choose not to anymore. I really dont enjoy it .I have found factory ammo has improved so much through the years that finding a factory load that will produce 1/2 to 1 inch groups at a hundred in an accurate rifle is not really a huge issue.
2)Brains-well you may have a point there !LOL
Seriously I do recognize that other factors play a role in the equation.
3)Brains- read above !
Seriously I am aware that the Rangefinding scopes are not a panacea for being able to use data and compute the proper way to use it. heck I have been processing data for my 53 years and sometimes my computer (Brain) comes up with either an incomplete or an incorrest answer ! BUT it still helps and I think the rangefinding scope will do the same and that is help.
I do think that I read the Burris III do take into account BC and shot angle.
4)money-Who has enough !My buisness plan didn,t work as I did not win the lottery !
I am going to have to really think on it but I may(or not !)Have brains enough to do some memorizing and interpretation of data.
Yes you do come off sounding negative BUT that is great as well, as I dont just want oppinions of people who all say the same thing .I want to see opposing views as well so I can use my brain to interpret the data and help me to come to a logical and rational decision whether to buy a rangefinding scope or not.
I appreciate the fact that you have worked with several products that attempt to predict holdover and correction as I can glean from your tests and observation which is exactly why I posted the question. Which of these products have you worked with? The Burris Eliminator,Burris Eliminator II, The Burris eliminator III,the Bushnell Yardage pro etc. I would really like to know how they compare to each other.In your field testing experience can you tell me which one of them you like the best and why or why not .
I am new to this site but see that there are field test and articles written here by members .Do you have information or an article here I can read? Reason I ask is as I said I am new here and have not had a chance to see and read all of them yet,and I want all the info I can learn from BEFORE I spend my hard earned money.They sure are proud of them !!
Thanks again ,
Regards
Craig

I don't want one to do all the work for me. I want one so that I know how far something is exactly before I shoot. I know my weapon and how to shoot it out to 500 pretty easy. What I have a hard time with is saying that bull is at 550 or 700? WHere I hunt, I very seldom have time to get out a rangefinder then set up for a shot. This way I can aim and range at the same time. If it comes back too far out and I need to regroup then it keeps me from taking a shot that I might have before.

Exactamundo
I concur completly!
One less thing to carry in the field as well.
Regards
Craig

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.