Compact spotting scopes help

pyroducksx3

I'm looking at picking up a compact spotting scope for hunting. This is mainly for determining an animal for legality at long range (how many points) and picking apart cover but will also be used in spotting shots while practicing longrange shooting. I dont need to judge them/score them with this scope. Im looking for a light weight scope as I put in many miles ina day hunting and this will be on my back the whole time. Im not sure whether to use a angled or straight eyepiece, please input!

I have narrowed the scope options down to #1 choice the minox MD 50 (16-30 zoom at 21.69 oz lifetime no fault warranty and found one for 219$ regularly 299$ and #2 the leupold gold ring 15-30 compact, scope is 21.5 oz lifetime warranty for 399$.

I looked at others the vortex is too heavy, nikon expensive but if anyone has any preferences that would be better than these options and price range feel free. Thank you

Last edited:
Hmmmm nobody has any experience with the minox spotters or glass in general. I know I like leupolds glass I've gone away from there scopes because of value but everytime I look through my dads vx II I realize how much netter the glass is than my bushel elite 4200. Just want to regret another purchase. So even if there's no experience with the minox md 50 specifically how about minox glass vs leupolds. Thanks

Ihave the 10-20 Leo, nice pack scope. But my friend has the Nikon , nicer, but spendy, my older Leo 12-40x60 was same price back when as Nikon, but it is nicer and gathers better light but is 32 oz

I have seen a 6-20 Leupold rifle scope and a bi-pod used on pack hunting. Leave the spotting scope home and save the weight.

I have a 6.5-20 vortex viper onh rifle already. The problem I ran into this year was it was getting dark and I had trouble making positive confirmation that he had 3 points. He was big enough that i could have assumed but I wanted to count the points. I had a doubler for my binos and that didnt work as well as I'd hoped. I was able to hold the doubler up to my scope (not easy to get a sight picture) and made it work and this was only at 352 yards, with good light it wouldn't have been challanging making the id with just the binos i think. Was just concerned about making positive Ida at 600 plus yards.

Then new 15x30 Leupold Gold Ring compact is a great little scope with good glass for about $400.00. I have a fixed 25x Gold Ring compact, but if I was buying one now I would get the variable. I am very happy with mine though don't get me wrong!

A little bit more expensive than your other options but i have heard amazing things about the the nikon 50 ED

Lol I bet it's nice but double the price! I have friends that work at sports stores I could always see if there's something we could work out, but straight retail no way. I appreciate the advice though.

Holy cr@* just checked out the specs on that nikon fieldscope 13-30 50mm and it weighs only 16.1 oz and appears to have interchangeable eye pieces to increase magnification abilities. If I could afford it this is looking like a killer scope. I don't if I should thank you or punch you in the stomach zsteinle :)

The leupold is a great scope for what your wanting it for I have seen the 15X30X50 as low as $250.00, for a used bought mine in the bargin cave at cabelas for $260.00

The Minox MD 50 is a great little spotting scope. I have one which i use for hill stalking in Scotland. Optically they punch well above their asking price.

The Minox MD 50 is a great little spotting scope. I have one which i use for hill stalking in Scotland. Optically they punch well above their asking price.

Have you compared it to a luepold or a nikon? Was just curious how bright and good the image was. How far would you say you would be able to count points on a deer (not score just count) in light and evening light? Im looking for a scope that I could ID # of points out to 800 yards. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.