compact scopes

G

I have a win mod 70 compact in 308. I love this rifle and love hunting with it. So I'm going to start learning long range shooting with this gun. I am going to keep myself limited to 500 yard max with this rifle. I am only hunting g-hogs long range with it until I figure every thing out. My questionis with this being a compact rifle is there any good compact scopes with target knobs out there. I just wanted a scope that seemed right for this compact rifle.
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ 04-01-2003: Message edited by: Bubb ]

[ 04-01-2003: Message edited by: Bubb ]

Bubb, Are you in luck, I've had my Burris 4-12w/Ballistic plex reticle for a month now and I'm totally impressed by it, up to 5" eye relief, and I can't believe how clear the scope is, I've got it on my Anschutz 54 Sporter, this model doesn't have target turrets because of the reticle, but there's other 4-12 compacts that Burris makes with them. With the Bal.plex you can zero at 100 and shoot out to 500yds using the point where the thick part of the reticle connects with the thin reticle, that would work perfectly for how far you want to shoot, no messin' with turrets. So far Natchez shooters is the only ones who have them, but call them first.1-800-251-7839, with shipping and NRA contribution came to $311.00. Was just on Midway website and noticed they were out. Awesome scope.
wink.gif
Jay

[ 04-01-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

Bubb, This must be your lucky day, called Natchez and they have the same scope I have in stock, If your interested #200396, I saw on their website they also have one with target turrets Fine plex, if you'd rather have that one, you won't be sorry with scope #200394. Jay PS I'd stick with the Ballistic Plex IF I were you. Jay

I'd stick with what you have in mind there, the target knobs! This is what I don't like about the 4-12x40 Nikon on my sons Compact, got to use a coin to adjust. Get one with an adjustable objective, parallax will be a problem after 500 yards and it won't take you long to see how well you can do there before you are itchin to go out farther! Have a gunsmith lighten the trigger the right way, reducing the sear engaugement and smoothing it up. I got Brads down to 4 lbs, but it won't go no less and still reset the trigger. Only 6 oz of return psi from the spring right now, the sear adds the rest.

Rebedding the thing is probably well worth it. Winchesters half-*** bedding is so soft and slap happily done it ain't funny! I'm doing his this week... finally.

I'm really not up on compact scopes, don't really care how long they are myself, just that they have the features I want. I'd go with a one piece base and a 6.5-20 LR-M1 Leupold or a 5.5-22 NF NXS even on the little compact "if" it were me. Sorry, I probably didn't help much in the compact area did I?

Brent, Why do you want to dink around target knobs when you can use the Ballistic plex to sight out to 500yds? The hash marks on that reticle are set just right for standard trajectories from 100gr 243-225gr. 338Mag. And 3 out of the 4 models in 4-12 are parallax adjustable from 7yds to infin, comes in really handy if you want to shoot in your basement with a 22. The regular adjustment knobs on the Burris are finger friendly, I just checked mine. This scope would work great on an pellet rifle too. Hard kicking rifles would benefit from a scope like this cuz of the 5" eye relief. Jay

Jay,

I agree, the BDC reticles are nice, and you still have the option of dialing if you want.
smile.gif
The Exbal ballistic program I have works with them too, and if the reticle is located in the second focal plane all the better! Does the reticle retain the same spacing when zoomed in and out or does it get larger and smaller with the sight picture too?

I use the R2 reticle on the NF so I'm with you on the BDC advantage.
wink.gif

I have heard more complaints about Burris scopes than all other MFG's combined, and then some. I've heard the same exact thing about their customer service, and in that amount too. It seems something's up with their QC and when customer service is called upon they have horrible results in 90 percent of the complaints. That scares the crap out of me, and I'll wait until I hear things have changed in both areas before I buy one. I have no time for problems with scopes and certainly don't want to ever wonder how I'm going to be dealt with if I did, I spend way too much cash on one to take a chance on those things.

I think Leupold and NF see it as the top priority to simply amaze their customers with the quality and service they provide, they charge extra up front for it and most people understand this and want to pay for the extra warranty cost. If things aren't right the "first time" when they ship it out for sale the company can exceed the extra they charge for free warranty work in no time in repair cost, labor, shipping etc, thus their incentive is potential profit if they get it right the first time, assuring you and I a much higher quality product just as we expect. Burris doesn't seem to grasp this concept... yet. Everything I've read about Burris is they are hit or miss, if you miss they can leave a serious bad taste in your mouth when you're through, if it's ever resolved. Only on "occasion" someone had a good experience with them and the problem was corrected just as expected, and that wasn't but maybe 10% of the time though!

Good luck with yours, I have a 2-7 on a pistol I'm crossing my fingers I never have to send back. My complaint with it is the Posi-Lock don't let you dial the clicks without removing the cap on it and using a screwdriver to unlock it first... that don't work for me, even though I see the benifit it offers, much too limiting if you want to dial out to the target. For me, I would hate to not know the problems people have had with Burris and find out myself, this is the only reason I say any of this. If the problems weren't so hit and miss and the customer service was comparable to Lupy or NF I'd have a Black Diamond or two right now! Ian and others say the glass is outstandingly clear, and bright, now if they can get the rest together.
wink.gif

Take care,

Brent, The 4-12 is calibrated on or about 12x, and of course you can fine tune and make your own calibration mark per whatever rifle you have it on. The burris catalog shows the different calibers that it's calibrated to, 100grn 243, 150gr 270, 140 7mm08, 175gr. 7mag, 150&165gr. 3006, 225gr 338mag. I noticed when I zoom in and out, the spacing gets tighter zooming in. Now I haven't heard that many complaints about their customer service, I think it was 4mesh that had a good experience with them, and so far with the 7 Burris scopes I own, i've had no problems. I talk to them alot and they say a scope don't leave the factory unless it's right, but of course their going to say that. I know Lazzaroni uses Burris because they've had problems with Lupys holding up when mounted on a Warbird, but that has nothing to do with Leu. CS.
wink.gif
Jay

I've had 2 4-12X Burris Minis, and unfortunately both had problems with focusing. Had to send them back 2X, and i haven't used them since they came back. But i've had other scopes that work great from them, so ?? Those 2 4-12 Mini's were quite old, so maybe they've beat the focusing problem. I've seen that scope written up several times since with excellent results each time. If you get one, and it's good--let us know, please. There's no doubt in my mind that if it works well, with a Ballistic Plex reticle/target turret setup, it could be one superb compact long-range package, especially with Exbal (Burris ought to sell that program as a package deal with their scopes).

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

sscoyote, Burris scopes have been updated throughout the years so you really can't compare old to new. My new 4-12 is ungodly clear, and since I have it on my Anschutz I fired it in my basement(focuses down to 7yds)got a nice one hole group at 15yds, my son got a better group than I did, haha. Called Burris yesterday and asked Larry about some QC issues I've heard about them, he said the president of Burris caught this guy in final insp. not doing his job and fired him on the spot, they've had alot of turnover lately(retirements) so your bound to get some scopes that slip through that aren't right, after all this world is full of imperfect people. As I said my '7' Burris scopes are all fine and I'll keep on buying them. Some of The Burris scopes with the mil-dot setup don't come with target turrets, my 4-16Sig.w/balmil-dot included, my sons 6-24Sig.w/balmil-dot has them, $80 to convert to T/T, I don't really see a use for them for scopes with balmil-dots cuz the hash msrks are calibrated out 700yds unless your shooting to 1k, ballistic plex out to 500-600yds depending on if your shooting with standard or magnum trajectories, Burris website explains all about the two plexes if you click on tech notes I think it was called, very informative.Geez all this talk makes me want to go shooting.
wink.gif
Jay

Thks. Jay, i'm going out tomorrow to do some LR shooting myself. I've got a 6AI that i'm going to be testing with one of those older scopes, so we'll see if they fixed the problem or not. I'm hoping. I thought they'd done better. i've got a 3-12X LER, Ballistic Plex reticle on an XP pistol that's just excellent, and it's the same length as the 4-12 Mini's, so whatever happened before just might be fixed now. I'm still a firm believer that those Mini's would be a great combination with an ele. target turret/Ballistic Plex setup. If all goes well I'm going to send mine back in for both modifications.One thing's for sure, if it doesn't work i can always get my money back with their warranty.

[ 04-04-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

..FWIW.. I've had excellent customer service from Burris on the rare occasion that I needed it.. I will purchase their products in the future.. d:^) JiNC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.