Compact long range scope

Okiecat

I have a mtn rifle built on an old 600 action with 22" barrel. It's in 6.5 x 284. Would like target turrets and side focus, but short. Also around 600 or less. 3 X 9 or a little more.

The leupold mk4 2.5-8 is 14.5 ounces and 11.3 inches long suggested retail under the $1200 mark. I have the standard vx111 on a 600 with a 20" 6mm barrel looks and feels fine. I have the MK 4 on a Tikka T3 scout 223 20" barrel it also looks and feels correct. The V6 2-12 doesn't have the target turrets and is a little bigger, and a little less money.

Also have a plan to mount it. Short actions, and short scopes can be problematic to have it all line up. The rail systems give a guy a bit more flexibility.

Compact has lots of meanings today with most scopes being about as long as your arm! How short do you want to go?

I am not sure how far you plan on shooting that gun but estimating what it weighs and with the shorter barrel my guess is you aren't going much past a 1/2 mile or so. If that is the case you don't need a whole lot of power. If you can keep around 10x or less on the top end then you can pretty easily lose the requirement of a side focus which may help add some more options.

SWFA has an excellent 3-9x42 right at $600. It is a great scope all round. good glass, excellent durability, excellent turrets all in a pretty compact setup. It has a nice reticle too if that is important.

Scot E.

Thanks, lots of good info. Yes I won't be shooting 800yds. I prefer the lower power. Side focus is just so nice and handy but good optics can help. Going to look at the swfa and the leopold. I also need one for my smokeless muzzle loader, should work for both.

Horus hawk, best bet, i'm thinking about going to the h-25 or 37 on all my scopes. Dialing is for 600+ and you need above 16x for real precision over that. Another option shepard 3x10. Awesome for hunting.

Leupold 6-18x40 with whichever reticle you want. Short, lightweight, and in the power range you can use.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.