Compact builds for hunting

Love this thread. I'm starting down this same path too, 6.5 PRC built on a rem 700 with APA bottom metal, 20 in. proof and the alterra carbon hunter. Have all the components except the stock but my gunsmith is super backlogged.

Hoping to come in sub 7lbs before scope and my Ultra 7. Really excited to run my can on a shorter barrel than 24"

Love this thread. I'm starting down this same path too, 6.5 PRC built on a rem 700 with APA bottom metal, 20 in. proof and the alterra carbon hunter. Have all the components except the stock but my gunsmith is super backlogged.

Hoping to come in sub 7lbs before scope and my Ultra 7. Really excited to run my can on a shorter barrel than 24"
I might go with rem700 build instead of tikka also . Only because Hawkins precision sells a rem 700 internal box mag hinged floor plate for long COAL. I'm a big Berger hybrid fan and they seat long. I'm tired of AICS mags on my hunting rigs more times than not I need 1 single shot. The aics mag is heavy with 5 rounds especially. Also I always end up having to modify the feed lips on the mag to get quick cycling of the bolt.

mare you running a aics mag on the APA bottom metal? You could save some weight doing a hinged floor plate I think

You're totally right on saving weight but for this build I wanted an external mag. I like in AK and like to have the ability to quickly cycle mags. Been really helpful for years where we can take multiple caribou, or to pop in a mag with some heavy woodLeighs in case a bear shows up.
When I did the calc a hinged floor plate would have saved at least 5 ounces, so if you're going ultra light that's definitely the way to go

You're totally right on saving weight but for this build I wanted an external mag. I like in AK and like to have the ability to quickly cycle mags. Been really helpful for years where we can take multiple caribou, or to pop in a mag with some heavy woodLeighs in case a bear shows up.
When I did the calc a hinged floor plate would have saved at least 5 ounces, so if you're going ultra light that's definitely the way to go
Yeah definitely not a big deal on weight for me. I could burn 5oz off the tread of my boots and the pack out still sucks

I backpack a lot--for packing a short barreled rifle is the only way to go. the first one on the list a long barrel on this thread but balances perfect 22 inch 7mm SAUM. Ti action, Manners EH1
Next is a 20 inch 243 win. On a EH1 20 in carbon barrel, orgin action.
I have a ruger 77 Hawkeye with a 19 in barrel in a 338 RCM, I also have a tikka T3 18 in barreled 338 RCM.
I also have 22 creedmoor one on a bighorn origin action, 17 inch SS bartline barrel, and one 22 creed in parts--not put together it will have a 20 inch barrel--works nice with suppressors.

Do not shy away from the short barrel..20 in barrel is probably the best compromise--if you go PRC or SAUM--Tikka is a good option--trigger is good, and get it in a 7mm mag/300 mag..it will feed, you will have enough room to work and tikka has a lot of good after market parts. I have also found go with as fast a twist as you can when going short. Seem to do better especially under 20 inches...good luck

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Stay with tikka and run a wsm or SAUM variant on a long action bolt stop with a Hells canyon magazine.

still saving weight and getting great performance.

I could never go back to Remington after tikka's!
Stay with tikka and run a wsm or SAUM variant on a long action bolt stop with a Hells canyon magazine.

still saving weight and getting great performance.

I could never go back to Remington after tikka's!
Is the hells canyon short action magazine the same length as factory tikka magazine.

I have 2. One is a compact chassis folder, 18" barrel and 5" suppressor. 10lbs ready to shoot and feature rich. Hard to beat and
8D9A57D6-E6FA-4298-8990-7FD46CCCDD70.jpeg
Absolutely love it. The other is a pistol. If you want compact, look at a pistol.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.