Compact & Accurate Air Pistol ??

Jeffpg

I'm in the market for a compact yet accurate weapon for taking the occasional grouse for the cookpot on my high country wilderness backpacking elk and deer hunts.

I do not want to make much noise and I am thinking that a air pistol may be the way to go.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks
Jeff

I'm sure the OP has moved on, but maybe someone else is looking for something similar!

Air pistols sure are a lot of fun! Most come in either .177 and .22.

However, a short barrel either reducer their power, or reduces their quietness! It's just plain physics. I have a separate post about how to balance your priorities between power, shortness, and quietness, and some remedies.
Link to that post: https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-of-compactness-vs-power-vs-quietness.272241/

▪Most of the shorter models really need an airgun silencer to be backyard friendly (no tax stamp required), and most of them need a suitable adaptor to 1/2" UNF. DonnyFL sells not just high quality airgun silencers, but the necessary adaptors.

▪The power of a .22 PCP pistol is around 12-15FPE. The longer models that are really "carbines with detachable shoulder stocks" can go to 25-30FPE easily.

🔶 $250 ±$50
▪ Artemis PP700S-A (single shot) and PP750 (multi shot): 15.8" OAL | replacement barrels and regulators available | Accessory: Detachable shoulder stock
▪Crosman 1720T PCP Target Air Pistol: 18.0" OAL | Detachable shoulder stock
▪Hatsan AT-P2 Pistol and AT-P1 Pistol: Detachable and collapsable shoulder stock
▪Artemis PP800 Rebel = Rebranded as: Diana Bandit: 21.1" OAL | Detachable shoulder stock

🔶 $400 ±50
▪Benjamin Marauder Pistol, "Prod", also sold as "Woods Walker" version: 18" OAL | Detachable shoulder stock | Has a ton of mods and upgrades, solid platform

🔶 $900 ±100
▪Weihrauch HW 44: 19" OAL | Top quality
▪Ataman AP16: Regular model 14.4" OAL | Compact model 12" OAL | Top quality

🔶 $1300 and higher
▪FX Dream-Tac Compact: 21.5" OAL folded | Detachable, foldable shoulder stock | High power, high quality, high adjustability, part of a full lego system, high air reservoir available
▪American Air Arms EVOL Mini Backpacker: 18" OAL folded | Foldable shoulder stock

If I ever get a stimulus check... — I'm stimulated to buy an Ataman AP16 Compact! 😄

Matthias

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a compact yet accurate weapon for taking the occasional grouse for the cookpot on my high country wilderness backpacking elk and deer hunts.

I do not want to make much noise and I am thinking that a air pistol may be the way to go.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff,

I know what you mean. A few years ago, my buddy and I were elk hunting, and a few grouse were all over the place; I tried throwing a rock at them but unsuccessful. Like you, I considered an air pistol. I now carry a slingshot and some steel ammo for under $20. However, I have not run into the same opportunity yet.

Ed