Comp vs Brake. Best choice for SPR?

TheBlackMambaXD

Gotten to the point in my build I want to choose a muzzle device. As this is my first build I'm not to familiar with the recoil, especially an 18" variant with rifle gas system. Iv'e shot a 16" carbine and the recoil was snappy, but not heavy. That being Iv'e looked at compensators for muzzle climb. My main objective is to have enough reduction to see hits downrange. So what do you guys think? The .223 doesn't have heavy recoil so maybe what I need is to reduce muzzle climb. But if I have a brake will that reduce it to a further extent? I've looked at the Ares Effin-A and I like the tune-ability, but would something like that only be helpful for say CQC rapid fire?. Thanks in advance. :)

Edit: I've also looked at Precision Armament M4-72 Severe Duty. It looks to have massive reductions, but I have my reservations about it. Namely will having such a huge force throw off harmonics? If not great.

If a muzzle brake is a possible consideration, how good are your earmuffs? Do you breathe out when you squeeze the trigger?

Do you shoot with anybody else beside you? How good is their hearing protection?

The linear comps help with rise, but don't entirely eliminate. The "felt" recoil is actually a touch higher, because the gases are directed forward.

Downside, some of the linear comps do increase muzzle blast/noise.

If recoil is a concern, go to a slightly heavier profile barrel. Choose a SOCOM over an M4, etc, etc.

For comps, 98% of the time, end up with an A2 screwed on the end or no comp at all.

here are two of mine. They are very effective in keeping you on target. I can see holes appear on the paper at 100 yards when I turn up the scope to over 20 power.

These only have up ports on the second and third chambers to decrease the amount gases going up.

DSCN2648_zpsez9omhns.jpg

DSCN2649_zpstswcu56k.jpg

DSCN2651_zpsdlfvc9lb.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.