Common Question

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people ask directions if they already know where they are going?

[/ QUOTE ]
some times people know where they are going, but lack the confidence or knowledge to get them there;and rely on others to convince them of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That is true. But when everyone says south is the wrong way wouldn't you go a different direction?

Funny thing was that the 300WM was fine for his needs all along and certainly better that the 257 wby.

[ QUOTE ]
Funny thing was that the 300WM was fine for his needs all along and certainly better that the 257 wby

[/ QUOTE ]
he already has a 300wm. the 300wm better for you; but the .257 weatherby was aparently better for his wants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif LOL have a good one

[ QUOTE ]
.270 Winchester or .257 Weatherby. Any observations on these choices?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that you will see acceptable 600 yard accuracy from your choice? The problem with all Weatherby's is freebore, in a factory rifle.

Good hunting. LB

I appreciate John M. point of view, but I had not madeup my mind when I originally posted the question. I also understand the some (maybe most) would not agree with my purchase of a .257 Wby (though RBrowning may). What have the responses contributed? Well I am looking a ways to improve my 300 Win. Mag. to make it a decent long range gun. I will give more attention to wildcat options; thanks Fiftydriver for your kind responses. I have always been a factory type of guy, but it seems I maybe missing some the most interest aspects of hunting. The .257 Wby may become my mid-range deer rifle;I will give it a try to see what it is able to do. Thanks again everyone. I am sorry for upsetting anyone.

Paulinus, I don't think anyone is upset. I'm just a ballbreaker at times.

Although I don't think the 257 wby is a good choice for 600yrd deer. I think for 300 and under it will be fine.

As far as wildcats calibers go, I would avoid them if I were you since you are pretty much a factory guy. Black Hills has good factory ammo thats a step above department store ammo. black-hills.com is the website. Get a nice krieger or lilja for that 300wm and some good 180 or 200 grain ammo and you've got it covered. You may even consider going with a 7stw or some other caliber.

JohnM,
I am curious why you would limit a 257 Weatherby to a 300 yard gun? Do you think it lacks the energy? Too much wind drift? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

RBrowning, I am not so much limiting it as I'm saying there are better choices out there for 600 yard deer. Its not energy that I was concerned about, but bullet choices - BC and weights.

I wouldn't want to track an animal that was 600 yards away to begin with. If I was shooting that far I him anchored.
I prefer heavy high BC bullets. I personally favor a big 7mm for that work.

You have more experience with the 257 wby round and probably have a different view.

I use a 240 Wby and it will carry about 900+ pounds out to 600yds with a 100 gr Sierra gameking. I had it built because I felt the 7mm Wby was too much for the little eastern whitetails. But then, I mostly bowhunt nowdays so I donot feel the need for any awesome firepower to kill a little eastern whitetail.

There are alot more 257 bullets on the market these days that offer vastly superior performance over the standard 120 gr bullets.

At the risk of starting another ****ing match, I would like to mention the 130 gr Bonded Core FBHP Wildcat Bullets. I have used these on game in the 257 STW with great results. BC is on par with a 180 gr 30 cal Ballistic Tip and accuracy is top notch as well.

There is also a 140 gr BCFB that again offers BCs better then most commercial 7mm and 30 cal big game bullets and will penetrate as well as any of them.

Just another option, admittedly, this is a handloading option only but to get the most out of any round you really should look into rolling your own ammo.

Now adays there is no need to limit the 257 rounds to 120 gr bullets as there are much higher BC, SD and weight 257 bullets out there to be had.

No scientific BCs available at this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Sorry for the poke!

Kirby Allen(50)

BuffaloBob, Paulius was hunting the larger western deer. Also, I really can't see why you would use a light bullet for long range for both ballistic and game performance issues.

Kirby, you are also shooting a wildcat round not factory and handloaded ammo as well.

I'm not questioning the overall ability of the 257 caliber. I just don't think the 257 wby is anywhere near the best choice for western deer hunting to 600 yards using an off-the-shelf rifle and ammo.

Also, Kirby I'm not looking to get into another ****ing match either, but since we agree that richard doesn't care about BC's and you do not have any testing data why don't you refrain from making your bold claims about BC.

John M.

I agree and stated that using these bullets was only a handloaders option and that if he wanted the best performance out of any round, be it a 22-250 to a 378 Wby, its best to handload so please review that portion of my previous post.

My comment was only to educate that there are much better options now days in the 257 family of bullets then there used to be.

On the BC topic, I will not get into that with you again simply because there is no point in trying to logically explain my point and provide my actual load development data, range testing data and field results when you seem to simply ignore all the actual testing we have done and simply state to the world that I have no basis for my claims.

As far as Richard not caring about BC, why would he build these bullets if he was not interested in BC? He just expects his customers to be big boys and do their own testing which we do with any bullet we use at long to extreme range.

I will say this though, Wildcat Bullets offers the highers BC 257 caliber bullets in the world that I know of. If you can not agree with me on this one with the availability of the 120gr ULD RBBT, 130 gr ULD RBBT, 130 gr FBHP, 140 gr FB, 142 gr ULD RBBT and 156 gr ULD RBBT then I'm even more sure this topic is not worth discussing with you.

I had a feeling your apology on the last post was insincere, now I know that as you can't stand not to start the fight up again.

All I was stating was that there are much better 257 bullet options available now that turn the 257 rounds into legit long range deer rifles.

I do not remember mentioning the round I was using them in besides the 257 STW which I am sure you are fine with, no HAWKING....

Now that we have hijacked another thread, lets stop this topic before it gets out of hand again.

Paulius,

I apologize for the derail of your post, I was just offering information on bullets that will greatly improve the ballistic and termnal performance of your 257 WBY. I have personally used these bullets on big deer here in Montana and they performed great out to 510 yards last fall. This was in a 257 STW which will offer 200 fps over your 257 Wby but you will still gain tremendous ballistic and terminal performance using the 130 gr BCFBHP if youcould find someone to load for you. Get a set of dies for $40 and get a friend to help you load your ammo, compared to Wby factory ammo you will get vast improvements as well as saving alot of money in ammo costs.

With the 257 Wby loaded with the 130 gr BCFBHP to top velocities it will match the 270 and 7mm Wby in trajectory and for use on game up to 350-400 lbs, will penetrate as well also.

Ian, Dave, Len,

I apologize for the derail, it was not my intention I promise you, just offering information useful to the topic at hand. Seems that Wildcat Bullets can not even be mentioned without John M thowing the BS flag. Its to bad really..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Paulinus,

I don't know where you are from in Kansas but if your deer are as thinned skinned as the ones we have down here in Oklahoma I think you will have plenty of energy with a lot of calibers out to 600yds. A good buddy of mine is planning on using a 243win and a 105 a-max bullet to go doe hunting this fall out to 500-600yds. I have just got a savage 25-06 that I am wanting to turn into a 1000yd plus rifle and I am going to use some of Richard Graves 130gr ULD RBBT bullets. I am also trying the 110gr Accubond so I can see how tough they are. If you do ge the 257 wby I would greatly recommend reloading simply because the cost of weatherby ammo. If you do reload try some of Richards bullets, you will like what you see. If you wanna go with the lighter bullets keeep in mind the Accubond and Bergers 115 VLD, that one has a great BC.

Good luck
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.